Mapping between rotations and operations: sign & handedness

In summary, the conversation involved a toy quantum circuit simulator and the desire to visually represent operations in multiple ways, such as a Hamiltonian, a unitary matrix, and a Bloch sphere rotation. A specific example was given regarding the rotation of a qubit around the X axis, with the corresponding Hamiltonian and unitary form provided. The conversation also touched on the determinant of the unitary matrix, with a correction being made to a sign error.
Strilanc
Science Advisor
I have a toy quantum circuit simulator that I work on. I want to visually represent operations in multiple ways: as a Hamiltonian, as a unitary matrix, and as a Bloch sphere rotation. I want to double-check that I haven't flipped anything.

I'll focus a concrete example: is this animation correct?

9qVpM6A.gif

We're in a right-handed coordinate system. Z points up, X points right, and Y points away. I have a qubit; perhaps embodied in the spin of an electron. I begin rotating the qubit around the X axis at 0.5 Hz, so that after a quarter second it's at been rotated by +45 degrees.

The Hamiltonian for this operation is ##H = X = \begin{bmatrix} 0&1\\1& 0\end{bmatrix}## (I think). The unitary form is:

##\begin{align} U(t) &= \exp(-i t H)\\&= \exp(-i t X)\\&= \exp(-i t (1)) \frac{1}{2} \begin{bmatrix} 1&1\\1&1 \end{bmatrix} + \exp(-i t (-1)) \frac{1}{2} \begin{bmatrix} 1&-1\\-1&1 \end{bmatrix} \\&=\frac{1}{2} \begin{bmatrix} e^{-it}+e^{it} & e^{-it}-e^{it} \\ e^{-it}-e^{it} & e^{-it}+e^{it} \end{bmatrix}\\&=\begin{bmatrix} \cos t & -i \sin t \\ -i \sin t & \cos t \end{bmatrix}\end{align}##

Does that all sound right? Did I make a sign error or a handedness error? The thing I'm most unsure about is the minus sign in ##\exp(-i t H)##. It seems... really unnecessary.

Physics news on Phys.org
Should det U = 1? If so, you must have a sign error in your last equation.

haruspex said:
Should det U = 1? If so, you must have a sign error in your last equation.

When I calculate the determinant, I get 1:

##\begin{align} \det \begin{bmatrix} \cos t & -i \sin t \\ -i \sin t & \cos t \end{bmatrix} &= (\cos t)^2 - (-i \sin t)^2 \\&= \cos^2 t - (-i)^2 \sin^2 t \\&= \cos^2 t - (-1) \sin^2 t \\&= \cos^2 t + \sin^2 t \\&= 1 \end{align}##

Strilanc said:
When I calculate the determinant, I get 1:

##\begin{align} \det \begin{bmatrix} \cos t & -i \sin t \\ -i \sin t & \cos t \end{bmatrix} &= (\cos t)^2 - (-i \sin t)^2 \\&= \cos^2 t - (-i)^2 \sin^2 t \\&= \cos^2 t - (-1) \sin^2 t \\&= \cos^2 t + \sin^2 t \\&= 1 \end{align}##
Sorry, you're right. I lost track of the number of negations.

1. What is the difference between rotation and operation in mapping?

Rotation refers to the physical act of rotating an object around an axis, while operation refers to the abstract mathematical concept of transforming an object. In mapping between rotations and operations, we are trying to understand how these two concepts are related to each other.

2. How is sign related to rotations and operations?

Sign refers to the direction of the rotation or operation. In rotations, it indicates whether the rotation is clockwise or counterclockwise. In operations, it indicates whether the transformation is positive or negative. In mapping between rotations and operations, we need to consider the sign to accurately relate the two concepts.

3. What is the role of handedness in mapping between rotations and operations?

Handedness refers to the orientation of an object in three-dimensional space. In mapping between rotations and operations, we need to consider handedness to accurately understand the relationship between the two concepts. This is because rotations and operations can have different effects on an object depending on its handedness.

4. How can mapping between rotations and operations be useful?

Mapping between rotations and operations can be useful in various fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics. It allows us to understand how different transformations affect an object and how to accurately represent them in mathematical models.

5. Is there a universal mapping between rotations and operations?

No, there is no universal mapping between rotations and operations. The relationship between the two concepts can vary depending on the specific rotation or operation being performed, the handedness of the object, and other factors. Mapping between rotations and operations requires a thorough understanding of the specific context and parameters involved.