Mapping question I don't understand

• Thread starter Genericcoder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mapping
In summary, the conversation is about understanding a specific problem involving mapping and finding the output of a function under certain conditions. The speaker is struggling to understand how the solution was arrived at and asks for clarification. The other person explains that you can subtract 2π from the range given and it will describe the same region. The speaker then asks for further explanation on how to systematically solve similar problems and if there is a specific method for doing so.
Genericcoder
Hi I uploaded the question and its answer first of all I am not good at all in mapping I don't understand it that much like here we want the output of the function under that specific domain that's what we want to see.
I understand until PI < alpha < 5/2 * PI but I don't understand how did he get
f(D) = {|z| < 2 , -PI < Arg(z) < PI/2} I don't get that could someone please explain because I need to understand this.

Attachments

• complex understanding.jpg
    complex understanding.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
If you take the range ##\pi < \alpha <\frac 5 2 \pi##, you can subtract ##2\pi## from the ##\pi## and ##\frac 5 2 \pi## and it is the same region in the plane. So ##-\pi < \alpha < \frac \pi 2## describes the same region.

Likes 1 person
Oh I see that makes a lot of sense thank you !

could you please also like explain maybe more about this question about how did he arrive to this solution coz I am not sure that my understanding is correct or intuition is right..

So I was wondering how do we systematically solve stuff like this ? are we looking for how some function output under certain set of conditions ? like for example f(x) = x^2 and we restrict the domain to be something like
[0,2] and see what is the range of output we are trying to get ?? I don't really understand what's going on here I just know how to solve in some scenrios but I don't get are we actually doing ...

Is there systematic way to do these kind of problems?

1. What is mapping?

Mapping is the process of creating a visual representation of data or information onto a physical or digital map. It involves using various techniques and tools to collect, analyze, and present geographic data in a visual format.

2. How is mapping used in scientific research?

Mapping is used in scientific research to visually display and analyze data related to various fields such as geology, biology, ecology, and climate. It helps scientists identify patterns, trends, and relationships between different variables and make informed decisions based on the data.

3. What are the different types of mapping techniques?

There are various mapping techniques, including topographic mapping, thematic mapping, geologic mapping, and cartography. These techniques use different tools and methods to represent data on a map, such as contour lines, colors, symbols, and shading.

4. What are some benefits of mapping in scientific research?

Mapping has several benefits in scientific research, such as providing a visual representation of data that is easier to understand and interpret, identifying spatial patterns and relationships, and aiding in decision-making processes. It also allows for better communication and collaboration among scientists by providing a common visual language.

5. How can mapping be used to address real-world problems?

Mapping has practical applications in addressing real-world problems, such as disaster management, urban planning, and resource management. By analyzing and mapping data, scientists can identify areas that are at risk or in need of intervention, and make informed decisions to mitigate potential problems.