Markov chain: finding a general solution

In summary: I was able to manipulate the equations to get a solution for b, but now I'm trying to understand the significance of this solution. I'm not sure how it relates to the original problem statement or why it is useful. Can you provide any insight?In summary, the problem statement involves a stochastic matrix P and a related matrix A. The question asks for a solution to the system Ay = b, where y = (x_2, x_3, x_4) and b is a certain vector that needs to be found. Using the relevant equations for closed and non-closed states, it is possible to manipulate the given equations and find a solution for b. However, the significance of this solution and how it relates to the
Christopher T.
1. The problem statement
Given a stochastic matrix P with states [itex]s_1...s_5[/itex]:

[itex]
P =
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & p_2 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & p_3 & 0 & 0\\
0 & q_2 & 0 & p_4 & 0\\
0 & 0 & q_3 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & q_4 & 1
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

and the matrix A (which is obviously related to P, but I can't see how... ):

[itex]
A =
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & -q_2 & 0 \\
-p_3 & 1 & -q_3 \\
0 & -p_4 & 1
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

The question is how the vector [itex]y = (x_2,x_3, x_4)[/itex] is a solution to the system [itex]Ay =b [/itex] for a certain b that I am supposed to find.

Homework Equations

The relevant equations are:
[itex]
x_j^K = 1
[/itex]
for all closed states

[itex]
x_j^K = \sum_{i=1}^n p_{ij }x_i^K
[/itex]
for all non-closed states

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by expanding Ay:

[itex]
Ay=
\left(
\begin{matrix}
1 & -q_2 & 0 \\
-p_3 & 1 & -q_3 \\
0 & -p_4 & 1
\end{matrix}
\right)
\left(
\begin{matrix}
x_2\\
x_3\\
x_4
\end{matrix}
\right)
=
\left(
\begin{matrix}
1x_2 + -q_2x_3 \\
-p_3x_2 + x_3 -q_3x_4 \\
-p_4x_3 + x_4
\end{matrix}
\right)
= b
[/itex]

But that seems to get me nowhere. The question hints to using the formulas listed above, but I can't see how I can use them to find b.

I appreciate all help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Christopher T. said:
1. The problem statement
Given a stochastic matrix P with states [itex]s_1...s_5[/itex]:

[itex]
P =
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & p_2 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & p_3 & 0 & 0\\
0 & q_2 & 0 & p_4 & 0\\
0 & 0 & q_3 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & q_4 & 1
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

and the matrix A (which is obviously related to P, but I can't see how... ):

[itex]
A =
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & -q_2 & 0 \\
-p_3 & 1 & -q_3 \\
0 & -p_4 & 1
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

The question is how the vector [itex]y = (x_2,x_3, x_4)[/itex] is a solution to the system [itex]Ay =b [/itex] for a certain b that I am supposed to find.

Homework Equations

The relevant equations are:
[itex]
x_j^K = 1
[/itex]
for all closed states

[itex]
x_j^K = \sum_{i=1}^n p_{ij }x_i^K
[/itex]
for all non-closed states

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by expanding Ay:

[itex]
Ay=
\left(
\begin{matrix}
1 & -q_2 & 0 \\
-p_3 & 1 & -q_3 \\
0 & -p_4 & 1
\end{matrix}
\right)
\left(
\begin{matrix}
x_2\\
x_3\\
x_4
\end{matrix}
\right)
=
\left(
\begin{matrix}
1x_2 + -q_2x_3 \\
-p_3x_2 + x_3 -q_3x_4 \\
-p_4x_3 + x_4
\end{matrix}
\right)
= b
[/itex]

But that seems to get me nowhere. The question hints to using the formulas listed above, but I can't see how I can use them to find b.

I appreciate all help.

Your question uses the exact opposite convention for ##P## used in all the books on my shelves and all the papers I have ever read on the subject: usually, in the English-speaking world, stochastic matrices have rows summing to 1, not the columns. I would love to replace your ##P## by its transpose, but that would create too much confusion; so I will write ##P(i \to j)## for the one-step transition probability from state i to state j. (In your convention, ##p_{ij} = P(j \to i)##, but in my convention---by far the majority--- ##p_{ij} = P(i \to j)##.) The clumsier notation avoids confusion.

Anyway, if ##I## is the ##5 \times 5## identity matrix, your matrix ##A## is the submatrix of ##I - P## consisting of rows 2--4 and columns 2--4, so it has to do with the equations (a): ##x_i = \sum_{j \neq 1,5} P(i \to j) x_j + b_i, \; i = 2,3,4##, or maybe the equations (b): ##X_j = \sum_{i \neq 1,4} X_i P( i \to j) + R_j, \; j = 2,3,4##.

First, note that states 1 and 5 are absorbing, and states {2,3,4} form an intercommunicating but transient class. That is, starting from state 2, 3 or 4, the process will eventually (i.e., with probability 1) be absorbed into state 1 or state 4. One way equations like (a) arise is in computing the absorption probability for state 1, starting from states 2, 3 or 4. If we let ##f_i = ## probability of absorption in state 1, starting from state ##i##, then these can be found from the standard equations
[tex] f_i = P(i \to 1) + \sum_{j =2}^4 P(i \to j) f_j, \; i = 2,3,4 [/tex] If you re-write these as ##f_i - \sum P(i \to j) f_j = \text{something}## you essentially involve the matrix ##A## you were given.

Other than that, I have no idea what the questioner wants.

Likes Christopher T.
Ray Vickson said:
Your question uses the exact opposite convention for ##P## used in all the books on my shelves and all the papers I have ever read on the subject: usually, in the English-speaking world, stochastic matrices have rows summing to 1, not the columns. I would love to replace your ##P## by its transpose, but that would create too much confusion; so I will write ##P(i \to j)## for the one-step transition probability from state i to state j. (In your convention, ##p_{ij} = P(j \to i)##, but in my convention---by far the majority--- ##p_{ij} = P(i \to j)##.) The clumsier notation avoids confusion.

Anyway, if ##I## is the ##5 \times 5## identity matrix, your matrix ##A## is the submatrix of ##I - P## consisting of rows 2--4 and columns 2--4, so it has to do with the equations (a): ##x_i = \sum_{j \neq 1,5} P(i \to j) x_j + b_i, \; i = 2,3,4##, or maybe the equations (b): ##X_j = \sum_{i \neq 1,4} X_i P( i \to j) + R_j, \; j = 2,3,4##.

First, note that states 1 and 5 are absorbing, and states {2,3,4} form an intercommunicating but transient class. That is, starting from state 2, 3 or 4, the process will eventually (i.e., with probability 1) be absorbed into state 1 or state 4. One way equations like (a) arise is in computing the absorption probability for state 1, starting from states 2, 3 or 4. If we let ##f_i = ## probability of absorption in state 1, starting from state ##i##, then these can be found from the standard equations
[tex] f_i = P(i \to 1) + \sum_{j =2}^4 P(i \to j) f_j, \; i = 2,3,4 [/tex] If you re-write these as ##f_i - \sum P(i \to j) f_j = \text{something}## you essentially involve the matrix ##A## you were given.

Other than that, I have no idea what the questioner wants.
Thank you, this gave me something to work on.

Related to Markov chain: finding a general solution

1. How does a Markov chain work?

A Markov chain is a mathematical model that describes a sequence of events where the probability of each event depends only on the previous event. It is commonly used to model systems that have a random element and exhibit a certain level of memory or dependence on previous states.

2. What is the general solution for a Markov chain?

The general solution for a Markov chain involves finding the steady-state probabilities of each state in the chain. This can be done by solving a system of equations known as the Chapman-Kolmogorov equations, which describe the transition probabilities between states.

3. How is the general solution of a Markov chain useful?

The general solution of a Markov chain can provide insights into the long-term behavior of a system. By calculating the steady-state probabilities, we can predict the likelihood of a system being in a particular state after many iterations, which can be useful in various fields such as finance, biology, and physics.

4. What are some real-world applications of Markov chains?

Markov chains have many applications, such as in predicting stock market trends, analyzing DNA sequences, and modeling weather patterns. They are also used in natural language processing for tasks such as speech recognition and text prediction.

5. Are there limitations to using Markov chains?

While Markov chains can be a useful tool for modeling and predicting random systems, they do have limitations. One limitation is that they assume a finite number of states and do not account for external factors that may affect the system. Additionally, they may not be suitable for systems with highly complex or chaotic behavior.