NASA's Mars 2020 Rover: Discovery of Life on Mars Sparks Fear and Controversy

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential discovery of life on Mars and the reactions that may ensue. The topic of exobiology and how it relates to cosmology and astronomy is also brought up. The conversation also touches on the use of balloons and parachutes in space exploration. Overall, the conversation is speculative and highlights the potential impact of such a discovery.
new6ton
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/30/us/nasa-life-on-mars-jim-green-scn-trnd/index.html
If such were to become true. I guess there would be mass panic attacks, mass suicides, chaos, protests, igniting wars and strife, what else? I can imagine people just trembling. And how to prevent such adverse reactions? I guess mass release of tranquilizers can save the day?

Mars 2020 Rover is a nice phrase. 2020 for 20/20 vision.

Also I guess topics like exobiology (?) is more appropriate for Cosmology than Astronomy?

Physics news on Phys.org
new6ton said:
If such were to become true. I guess there would be mass panic attacks, mass suicides, chaos, protests, igniting wars and strife ...
Nonsense. People are far more concerned with day to day immediacies. You have a vivid imagination, which is not serving you well in this case.

Likes BillTre
Exobiology is definitely not cosmology.

new6ton said:
If such were to become true. I guess there would be mass panic attacks, mass suicides, chaos, protests, igniting wars and strife, what else? I can imagine people just trembling. ...

Scientists found unexpected microbes around deep see vents. That did not induce panic or mass suicides. There were not even plain suicides or protests that I am aware of. It happened again with Candidatus Frackibacter. Life was found in another totally unexpected place. It has not been proven to be a cause of wars or chaos. There have been some wars and much chaos but I have not see anyone even suggest a link to frackibacter. The discovery does not appear to have even changed the rate that we do fracking. People do protest fracking but I have never seen anyone with a "save the frackibacter" sign. I have not heard anyone express concern.

Discovering life on Mars could inspire someone to go for a PhD in exobiology. It is not likely to be very common. If we know that life is present we will try to get a sample. Once we have samples it becomes biology, biochemistry, genetics, ecology, etc.

Likes BillTre
new6ton said:
If such were to become true. I guess there would be mass panic attacks, mass suicides, chaos, protests, igniting wars and strife...
It's more likely that people would be looking for a way to exploit it. I like to think of these questions in terms of the moon Enceladus. If we found life in it's oceans, there would be someone trying to get there with a fishing pole.

• Love
Likes Asymptotic, BillTre, phinds and 1 other person
[Moderator: Thread moved to Aerospace and Astronautics Engineering. We are trying to concentrate such futurist and space travel topics in that forum. It is not the science of astronomy, nor the science of cosmology.]

So they will use the same balloon and parachute to deploy the old Rover?

If the Indians use balloons and parachute too on the moon Rover which failed last month, it should have landed?

new6ton said:
So they will use the same balloon and parachute to deploy the old Rover?

If the Indians use balloons and parachute too on the moon Rover which failed last month, it should have landed?
The moon has no atmosphere, so how could a balloon or parachute possibly work? I'm reasonably sure the that the Indian team behind the Vikram lander were aware that balloons wouldn't work.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
The moon has no atmosphere, so how could a balloon or parachute possibly work? I'm reasonably sure the that the Indian team behind the Vikram lander were aware that balloons wouldn't work.
The balloons being discussed are not hot air balloons, they are "padding" all around the lander
1569993018702.png

phinds said:
The balloons being discussed are not hot air balloons, they are "padding" all around the lander
@new6ton wrote "So they will use the same balloon and parachute to deploy the old Rover? "
I get that balloons might be used as padding, but certainly parachutes couldn't possibly work in the absence of an atmosphere.

1. What is NASA's Mars 2020 Rover?

NASA's Mars 2020 Rover is a robotic space exploration mission designed to study the Martian surface and search for signs of past microbial life. It is scheduled to launch in July 2020 and is expected to land on Mars in February 2021.

2. What is the purpose of the Mars 2020 Rover mission?

The primary goal of the Mars 2020 Rover mission is to determine whether life ever existed on Mars. The rover will collect and analyze samples of Martian rocks and soil, as well as study the planet's climate and geology, in order to provide valuable insights into the planet's past habitability.

3. Why is the discovery of life on Mars controversial?

The discovery of life on Mars would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It could also raise ethical considerations, such as whether we have the right to interfere with potential extraterrestrial life. Additionally, there may be concerns about the potential contamination of Earth by Martian microbes.

4. What are the fears surrounding the discovery of life on Mars?

Some people fear that the discovery of life on Mars could lead to a hostile alien invasion or that it could challenge our beliefs and understanding of the universe. There are also concerns about the potential impact on our own planet, both environmentally and socially.

5. How does NASA ensure the safety of Earth and the Martian environment during the Mars 2020 Rover mission?

NASA has strict protocols in place to prevent contamination of both Earth and Mars. The rover and all its instruments undergo rigorous sterilization procedures to ensure that no Earth microbes are brought to Mars. Additionally, the rover will be operating in a designated "Special Regions" on Mars that have a higher potential for habitability, and strict guidelines are in place to prevent any potential contamination of these regions.