Marzi from Iran: Can I Follow My Dream of Studying Physics?

• Thread starter marzi
  • Start date
In summary, Marzi from Iran loved physics in high school, but is not happy with her decision to study chemistry instead of physics at university. She is worried about the cost and the difficulty of doing both, but feels that she has to try.
marzi
hi every body.
i'm marzi from IRAN.I loved physics from high school,I wanted to be a physicist.but here,in my country situation is diffrent from yours.there is this big exam every year and seats in univesities aren't even half of the student in the exam.my results was okey(not good not bad) exept in physics that i was great.i was accepted in 2 magors.chemistry and physics.the university that i could study physics in was expensive,and i chose to study chemistry.it was a disaster.i hated every minute of it.it's wasn't a surprise when i got fired but it destroyed my self-confidance.my family insisted on me to work in a company.i accepted because i needed the money but guess what love never dies.i want to go back to uni and study physics.my family won't be happy by my dicision.in a nutshell i have to fight my family and try to pay my way through it and study physics at the same time and don't forget that the glass ceiling for women in my country is thick.i am so worried.can i do it?or am i a dreamer?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can afford it, go for it! Leave the country if you can. In the United States and Europe, the glass ceiling for female physicists is much thinner, and many have already broken it.

I came across a lady while browsing the web who was visiting one of the European universities, I was kind of surprised by her profile:

http://sina.sharif.edu/~sadooghi/

Maybe you can get in touch with her.
I am not sure how things work in your country, but many students worldwide pay their expenses by working at the university, at a research institute or similar. So you may want to explore those options.

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Angry Citizen said:
If you can afford it, go for it! Leave the country if you can. In the United States and Europe, the glass ceiling for female physicists is much thinner, and many have already broken it.

thanks Angry citizen.i would love to,but i can't leave the country in IRAN a girl can't leave the country without the husband or father's permission.right now my father won't let me and it would be expensive.i think at this stage i study in my own country. the point is CAN I STUDY AND WORK AT THE SAME TIME(i mean outside the uni).thanks for your advice.

physiker_192 said:
I came across a lady while browsing the web who was visiting one of the European universities, I was kind of surprised by her profile:

http://sina.sharif.edu/~sadooghi/

Maybe you can get in touch with her.
I am not sure how things work in your country, but many students worldwide pay their expenses by working at the university, at a research institute or similar. So you may want to explore those options.

Good Luck.

i will contact her, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Marzi from Iran: Can I Follow My Dream of Studying Physics?

1. Can I study physics in Iran?

Yes, you can study physics in Iran. Iran has several universities that offer physics programs and many Iranian students pursue degrees in physics every year.

2. Is it safe for a woman to study physics in Iran?

Yes, it is generally safe for women to study physics in Iran. Women are allowed to pursue higher education in Iran and there are many women studying physics in Iranian universities. However, it is important to follow the cultural norms and dress modestly while studying in Iran.

3. What are the requirements for studying physics in Iran?

The requirements for studying physics in Iran may vary depending on the university and program. Generally, you will need to have a high school diploma or equivalent, pass entrance exams, and obtain a student visa. It is recommended to check with the specific university for their specific requirements.

4. Can I study physics in Iran as an international student?

Yes, you can study physics in Iran as an international student. However, you will need to obtain a student visa and meet the requirements set by the university you wish to attend. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the Persian language as many classes are taught in Persian.

5. What opportunities are available for physics students in Iran?

There are various opportunities available for physics students in Iran. Some universities offer research opportunities for undergraduate students, and there are also opportunities for graduate students to pursue research and teaching positions. Additionally, there are several conferences and workshops held in Iran that provide networking and learning opportunities for physics students.