How Does the Mass of a Moon Affect Its Orbital Speed Around a Planet?

• Thread starter Hasan Ribin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Speed
In summary: Dear Hasan,Thank you for reaching out to us. I'm sorry that you are having difficulty understanding this information.The position of the moon changes due to the gravitational pull of the Earth. The more mass the moon has, the closer it is to the center of the Earth's gravity. This process is largely dependent on the size and shape of the moon, as well as the distance between the Earth and moon. However, there are some general principles that can be used to calculate the moon's position.
Hasan Ribin
Hi. Tell me pls how does the mass of moons effect their speed around planets?
I know that in case of satellites their speeds depend on planet Mass and ٌ R+h only (R is a radius of the planet and h is satellite's height from the planet surface), but in that case we do not measure satellites' mass because of its insignificance.. But if a satellite for instance has the same mass as the Moon, we should take into account its gravitational effect to the planet as well I guess.. Please help (and if it is possible - with necessary formula). Thanks ))

P.S.: Sorry for English.. Long time without practice :)

I've also added that question http://http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110525032837AAL59Xi" , maybe someone wishes to answer on the site

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Hasan! Welcome to PF! :smile:

The acceleration of the moon depends only on the distance L between the moon and the planet: GMplanet/L2.

The speed of the moon depends on the distance R of the moon from the centre of mass (assuming a circular orbit): centripetal acceleration = v2/R.

The rest of the calculation I'll leave to you. :wink:

Thanks ))

The acceleration of the moon depends only on the distance L between the moon and the planet: GMplanet/L2.

Yeah.. that is what I tried to talk about but.. You mean that if we reduce the Moon's mass, say, to 3.5 × 10^22 kg but the distance between the Earth's and the Moon's mass centers leave the same there will be no changes regarding its velocity during moving around the planet? I mean the orbital period of the Moon will remain about 27 days?

I thought it is right only for planet sattelites or planets within solar system because their mass is negligible relative to the sun or other globes they are moving around.. But what if the mass of a sattelite or a moon is insignificantly different from the globe it is moving around? Say, the Moon and the Earth.. (or if we significantly in- decrease the Moon mass )?

Hi Hasan! :smile:
Hasan Ribin said:
You mean that if we reduce the Moon's mass, say, to 3.5 × 10^22 kg but the distance between the Earth's and the Moon's mass centers leave the same there will be no changes regarding its velocity during moving around the planet? I mean the orbital period of the Moon will remain about 27 days?

No, because the speed depends on both L and R, and if you change the mass of the moon, then the position of the centre of mass changes, ie R changes.

if you change the mass of the moon, then the position of the centre of mass changes, ie R changes.

Ok, thank you very much, now I see.. Dear, would you explain this stuff as well please? How does the position change, I guess that the more mass moves the Moon closer to the center of mass, is there anything that this prosess depend on also? How to calculate it?

1. What is the relationship between mass and speed?

The relationship between mass and speed is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that acceleration is directly proportional to the force applied and inversely proportional to the mass of an object. This means that as mass increases, speed decreases, and vice versa.

2. How can mass affect an object's speed?

As mentioned in the previous answer, the greater the mass of an object, the more force is required to accelerate it. This means that a heavier object will have a slower speed compared to a lighter object with the same amount of force applied.

3. Why is it urgent to understand mass and speed?

Understanding the relationship between mass and speed is crucial in many fields of science and engineering, such as transportation, sports, and space exploration. It allows us to make predictions and calculations to design and improve technologies that involve moving objects.

4. How does mass affect the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant and does not depend on the mass of an object. However, an object with a higher mass will require more energy to reach the speed of light, making it virtually impossible for anything with mass to travel at the speed of light.

5. Can mass ever equal speed?

No, mass and speed are two different physical quantities that cannot be equal. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving. It is possible for an object to have zero mass and travel at the speed of light, but it is not possible for mass and speed to be equal.