Mass flow rate, conveyor screw calculations and books

Additionally, the website conveyusa.com provides a general overview and guidelines for screw conveyor design and operation.
elementHTTP
I am interested in mass flow rate in conveyor screw transportation
http://www.colormaxsystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/5-screws-300x222.jpg
any recommended book,engineering guides ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Any particular class of material(s)?

HDPE powder
density ~aprox 960 kg/m3 at 25 C

If it's just general material handling, loading or unloading hoppers/bins, hit the farm implement mfrs./dealers for power and rates. If it's for extrusion, not my area.

Just for general material handling (transportation through pipe) exit mass flow formula. Not for extrusion or injection molding.
thanks for fast replies ! :)

elementHTTP said:
I am interested in mass flow rate in conveyor screw transportation
http://www.colormaxsystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/5-screws-300x222.jpg
any recommended book,engineering guides ?
Perry's Chemical Engineering Handbook

Last edited by a moderator:

What is mass flow rate?

Mass flow rate is the measurement of the amount of mass that passes through a given area per unit of time. It is typically measured in kilograms per second (kg/s) or pounds per second (lb/s).

How is mass flow rate calculated?

The mass flow rate can be calculated by dividing the total mass of a substance by the time it takes for that substance to pass through a given area. This can be expressed as:
Mass flow rate = Mass / Time

What are conveyor screw calculations used for?

Conveyor screw calculations are used to determine the power requirements, capacity, and other design parameters for screw conveyors. These calculations take into account factors such as the material being conveyed, conveyor speed, and conveyor diameter.

Are there any books that can help with conveyor screw calculations?

Yes, there are several books that can assist with conveyor screw calculations, such as "Screw Conveyors: An Introduction to Their Design, Selection and Applications" by M. E. Fayed and Thomas Skocir or "Screw Conveyors" by Michael P. Forcade. It is important to consult reputable sources and double check calculations to ensure accuracy.

How can I improve mass flow rate on a conveyor system?

There are several ways to improve mass flow rate on a conveyor system, including increasing the conveyor speed, optimizing the design of the screw conveyor, and using a more efficient motor or drive system. It is also important to regularly maintain and clean the conveyor system to prevent any obstructions or buildup that could impede mass flow rate.