Mass Loss and Orbit Expansion

• Thread starter accalternata
  • Start date
  • Tags
    mass loss
accalternata
Homework Statement
How much do you expect the Earth-Sun system to expand over the 10 Gyr
main-sequence lifetime of the Sun, given that the Sun is losing mass in the form of
light? And how much
given the mass-loss rate of 3×10−14 M⊙ yr−1 associated with the solar wind?
Relevant Equations
See below
1.PNG
2.PNG

I need help with d) and e).
Currently how I've approached it is by using the fact that e=mc^2 and I can correlate this emission of light with loss of mass.

Then I can use the formulas in a) to correlate this with da/dt. I'm struggling to figure out what the rate of energy loss is though.

Physics news on Phys.org
accalternata said:
I'm struggling to figure out what the rate of energy loss is though.
Have you tried the reference given in the question?

1. How does mass loss affect orbit expansion in celestial bodies?

Mass loss in celestial bodies can lead to orbit expansion due to the conservation of angular momentum. As a body loses mass, its moment of inertia decreases, causing it to spin faster and move to a larger orbit.

2. What are the main sources of mass loss in celestial bodies?

The main sources of mass loss in celestial bodies include stellar winds, supernova explosions, and interactions with other celestial bodies such as tidal forces.

3. How does mass loss impact the evolution of stars?

Mass loss plays a crucial role in the evolution of stars, as it affects their luminosity, temperature, and eventual fate. For example, massive stars can lose a significant amount of mass through stellar winds, leading to their eventual collapse and supernova explosion.

4. Can mass loss and orbit expansion be observed in real time?

While mass loss and orbit expansion can be inferred from observations of celestial bodies over long periods of time, they are not typically observed in real time due to the slow nature of these processes.

5. How do scientists study mass loss and orbit expansion in celestial bodies?

Scientists study mass loss and orbit expansion in celestial bodies through a combination of theoretical models, computer simulations, and observations using telescopes and other astronomical instruments. By analyzing the data collected, researchers can gain insights into the mechanisms driving these phenomena and their implications for the evolution of the universe.