Solving a House Air Mass Calculation Problem

It looks like you are trying to find the change in mass of air in a closed system as the temperature changes. The formula you are looking for is delta m = n * M * delta T, where n is the number of moles of air, M is the molar mass of air (0.029 kg/mol), and delta T is the change in temperature. So in this case, delta m = (3.49131*10^4 mol) * (0.029 kg/mol) * (-39 K) = -404.34 kg. This means that 404.34 kg of air leaves the house as the temperature drops to -19 C. In summary, the volume of a house is given as 840 m
itryphysics

Homework Statement

A house has a volume of 840 m^3.
What is the total mass of air inside the house at 20 degrees celcius? Assume that the pressure is 1.00 atm.

Homework Equations

Charles law Volume is directly proportional to Temperature
1 mol of gas at 0 degrees celcius has V = 22.4L

The Attempt at a Solution

using charles law i determined that the new volume at 20 degrees celcius would be = (20*22.4 L ) or (22.4 *10^-3 m^3)*(2) = .448 m^3

number of moles = 840 m^3 / .448 m^3 = 1875 mol
1 mol of air has a mass of about 29 g = .029 kg

so m= (1875 mol) (.029kg/mol) = 54.37 kg

my method apparenlt is faulty because the answer is rejected
Please help me solve this

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think Charles law applies since the house has fixed volume. You just need to use the ideal gas law PV = nRT

so using PV=nRT

n = PV / RT = (1.013*10^5 Pa)*(840 m^3) / (8.314)(293.15K) = 3.49131*10^4

then 3.49131*10^4 mol (0-029 kg/mol)= 1012 kg

does that seem correct?

Looks about right, the density of air at sea level (20 C) is 1.2Kg/m^3 IIRC.

I used that the assumption which was also used in one fo the examples in my book that air is 20 % O and 80% N ..so adding together the percent compositions yielded 29 g ..

Why did you offer me the density figure of air ?

Just saying that your density would be about 1.2Kg/m^3, just as a sanity check.

oh ok. I was making this problem much more complicated than it turned out. Thanks for leading me through !

uh oh. There's a follow up question : If the temperature drops to -19 C, what mass of air enters or leaves the house?
it wants delta m
I used the same equation and substituted T with delta T which would be -39 K ..
but that's not working ...

P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2

Volume is constant so, you know P1 and T1 and T2, so work out P2. Then use P2 to find out how much air is still in the house at P2, T2, V using PV=nRT remember that n=M/m

so here it goes :

P1 = 1.013*10^5 Pa
T1 = 293.15 K
T2 = 254.15 K

P1/T1 = P2/T2
and i got P2= 8.78233*10^4
then: PV=nRT
(8.78233*10^4 Pa)(840m^3)=m(8.314)(254.15K)
n= 3.49131*10^4

im confused here after... please explain how to incorporate n=M/m

can i not just multiply n by 0.029 kg which is mass of 1 mol of air
and then subtract that amount from the inital mass to get delta m ?

Doesn't that formula assume that n is constant? i.e. closed system.

I think you just assume that the pressure is constant, but haven't do any thermodynamics for a while so you have constant pressure and constant volume for there it's rather easy to find the change in n.

hmmm ... so there was no need to find P2?

And yes I looked up in my notes the ideal gas law is only valid if the number of particles (n) stays constant

Last edited:

1. What is a house air mass calculation problem?

A house air mass calculation problem involves determining the air mass in a house, which is the amount of air contained within the house. This calculation is important for determining the energy efficiency of a house and for designing heating and cooling systems.

2. How is a house air mass calculated?

To calculate the air mass in a house, the volume of the house is multiplied by the density of air. The volume can be determined by measuring the dimensions of the house or using floor plans. The density of air can be found by consulting a table of air densities based on temperature and altitude.

3. Why is it important to solve a house air mass calculation problem?

Solving a house air mass calculation problem is important for understanding the energy efficiency of a house. By knowing the air mass, it is possible to determine how much energy is needed to heat or cool the house. This information is also important for designing a heating and cooling system that is properly sized for the house.

4. What factors can affect a house air mass calculation?

The main factors that can affect a house air mass calculation are the size and shape of the house, the materials used in the construction of the house, and the temperature and altitude of the location. Other factors such as air leaks and insulation can also affect the air mass and should be taken into consideration when calculating it.

5. Are there any tools or software available to help with solving a house air mass calculation problem?

Yes, there are various tools and software available to help with solving a house air mass calculation problem. Some building energy modeling software, such as EnergyPlus and HAP, have the capability to calculate air mass. There are also online calculators and spreadsheets that can be used for this purpose.