Kerr-Newman BH Mass: Relationship to Angular Momentum & Charge

• A
  • Thread starter Hiranya Pasan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, there is a relationship between the mass, angular momentum, and charge of Kerr-Newman black holes, given by the equation M^2 >= Q^2 + (S/M)^2. However, this relationship is not a one-to-one correlation as these properties are independent of each other. The parameter a, representing the length scale, is also independent of the mass and angular momentum.
Hiranya Pasan
I've been trying to find out the relationship between Kerr-Newman BH mass, Angular momentum and Charge. But I cannot find it. If some know please let me know.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think there is such a relationship? These are independent properties.

Orodruin said:
Why do you think there is such a relationship? These are independent properties.

Really?, I thought Kerr black holes having the relationship angular momentum and mass (J=aM), Kerr-Newman black holes also have that kind of a relationship

Hiranya Pasan said:
(J=aM)
That is just exchanging the angular momentum for a length scale parameter. Since that parameter is a priori independent of the mass, the angular momentum does not have a one to one relationship with the mass. As an example, the Schwarzschild black hole is a Kerr black hole with J = 0 (or, equivalently, a=0).

Hiranya Pasan said:
I've been trying to find out the relationship between Kerr-Newman BH mass, Angular momentum and Charge. But I cannot find it. If some know please let me know.

Thank you

Perhpas you are looking for the relationship

$$M^2 >= Q^2 + (S/M)^2$$

where M is the mass of the black hole, Q is the charge, and S is the angular momentum, all in geometric units. S/M is called a in my text, which is MTW's "Gravitation". A body which violates this condition would not be a black hole, but a 'naked singularity'.

1. What is a Kerr-Newman black hole?

A Kerr-Newman black hole is a type of black hole that has both mass and angular momentum (spin) as well as an electric charge. It was first described by Roy Kerr and Ezra Newman in 1963 and is a solution to the Einstein-Maxwell equations in general relativity.

2. How does the mass of a Kerr-Newman black hole relate to its angular momentum and charge?

The mass of a Kerr-Newman black hole is directly related to its angular momentum and charge through the Kerr-Newman metric. The more angular momentum and charge a black hole has, the higher its mass will be.

3. Can a Kerr-Newman black hole have zero angular momentum?

Yes, a Kerr-Newman black hole can have zero angular momentum. In this case, it would be a Schwarzschild black hole with only mass and no spin or charge.

4. How does the charge of a Kerr-Newman black hole affect its properties?

The charge of a Kerr-Newman black hole affects its properties in several ways. It can change the shape of the event horizon and the ergosphere, and also affects the strength of the gravitational and electric fields near the black hole.

5. Are there any real-life examples of Kerr-Newman black holes?

There are currently no known real-life examples of Kerr-Newman black holes. However, some black holes in space have been observed to have both spin and charge, making them potential candidates for being Kerr-Newman black holes.