Mass Transfer: are both convective mass transfer and eddy diffusion the same?

In summary, mass transfer can be divided into two types: molecular mass transfer (diffusion) and eddy diffusion. However, convective mass transfer is also discussed in some books. The equation N_i = J_i + C_i V_m is used to calculate molar flux, diffusive flux, and convective flux. In a fluid-flowing system with two species, the absolute velocities of each species and the molar average velocity can be determined using their concentrations. This equation is also used to prove D_AB=D_BA in a system where only diffusion is taking place. The convective diffusion term and N_A are considered to be the same, where N_A is determined by the convective mass transfer coefficient, K_c, and
Rahulx084
I have studied that mass transfer is of two types
  1. Molecular mass transfer(diffusion)
  2. Eddy diffusion
then in later portion of the book I found that there is convective mass transfer too, I wanted to ask if both convective mass transfer and eddy diffusion are same ?
I read this equation N_i = J_i + C_i V_m
where J_i = molar diffusive flux of component i related to molar average velocity
N_i =Total molar flux of component i
C_i V_m = convective flux of species i due to molar average velocity

lets take an example of a fluid flowing in pipe with some velocity x and I drop some ink in the flowing fluid , so now this is a binary mixture of fluid and ink . My question is what are absolute velocities of both species and what is the molar average velocity , if concentration is C1 and C2 respectively .I'm confused in the definition of these velocities .

• Why this equation is used in proving D_AB=D_BA , like in a ethanol water system where only diffusion is taking place and this equation have convective term too.
  • convective diffusion term of particular species=(mole fraction)(N) , is this term and N_A = K_c (concentration difference) are same ? where K_c =convective mass transfer coefficient
Please help me out with this

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Rahulx084 said:
then in later portion of the book
Sorry about the long delay.
Can you please provide a reference to the book you are reading.

Hey , thanks for replying . I actually got this already and now I'm comfortable with this .

1. What is mass transfer?

Mass transfer is the movement of one or more substances from one location to another, typically due to a concentration difference. This can occur through a variety of mechanisms, such as diffusion, convection, and eddy diffusion.

2. What is convective mass transfer?

Convective mass transfer is the movement of substances due to bulk fluid motion, such as in a flowing liquid or gas. This can occur through mechanisms such as advection and diffusion.

3. What is eddy diffusion?

Eddy diffusion is a type of convective mass transfer that occurs due to turbulence in a fluid. This can lead to the mixing and dispersion of substances, allowing for faster mass transfer compared to simple diffusion.

4. Are convective mass transfer and eddy diffusion the same thing?

No, convective mass transfer and eddy diffusion are not the same thing. While both involve the movement of substances due to fluid motion, eddy diffusion specifically refers to the mixing and dispersion of substances due to turbulence, while convective mass transfer can also occur through mechanisms such as advection.

5. How does mass transfer impact industrial processes?

Mass transfer is a crucial aspect of many industrial processes, as it allows for the efficient separation, purification, and mixing of substances. It is used in industries such as chemical manufacturing, wastewater treatment, and food processing, among others.