Massless photons is a hard concept to grasp

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a photon being a massless elementary particle and how this can be measured and detected by physicists. The confusion between mass and substance is addressed, as well as the idea that the photon's momentum is independent of its mass. It is also mentioned that the photon's charge is known with a higher precision than the masses of other particles. However, there is some debate over whether the term "massless" is completely accurate for photons, as their velocity is technically their mass. There are also some ongoing debates and studies on the upper limit of the photon's mass. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the complexities and ongoing research surrounding the concept of a massless particle.
Benzoate
how can an elementary particle like a photon be massless? How can physicist measure and detect a photon if the don't know its inherent properties? I know a photon travels at the speed of light , but wouldn't you have to know a particle mass , in order to know its speed? Or are physicists referring to a particle who's mass is extreemely close, to zero, but nonetheless the particle still has a nonzero mass when physicists refer to a massless photon?

Physics news on Phys.org
My experience is that laymen mistake "mass" with "substance".

Benzoate said:
How can physicist measure and detect a photon if the don't know its inherent properties?
Can you not speak with someone even though you don't know his/her name, age, sex, ... or mass !? :tongue2:
I know a photon travels at the speed of light , but wouldn't you have to know a particle mass , in order to know its speed?
Speed is length divided by time, independent of mass.
Or are physicists referring to a particle who's mass is extreemely close, to zero, but nonetheless the particle still has a nonzero mass when physicists refer to a massless photon?
In our current models, the photon is theoretically zero, exactly, not close to. Now, from a pragmatic point of view, nobody can ever say "I have measured zero". You can only say "I have measured zero within [some] experimental errors" which is the same as saying that "the result is less than [some] experimental errors". So we will never have an experimental proof that the photon mass is exactly zero. It close to zero enough, so that for all purpose, we can set it to zero.

Last edited:
Speed is length divided by time, independent of mass.

Yes , but you would need to know the mass of a particle during a collision between two or more particles known as the momentum equation in order to calculate the speed of a final partilce. and if you divide by zero mass, the particle has infinited speed which is impossible since no particle can travel faster than the speed of light.

Actually the photon momentum is given by

p = [tex]\bar{h}[/tex]k

Which is completely independent of its mass and tells us that photon momentum is based on its energy or wavelength depending on how you want to interpret it.

not the classical p = mv equation.

I hope this helps clear up your confusion.

Welcome to the wonderful world of non-classical physics.

Last edited:
Benzoate said:
Yes , but you would need to know the mass of a particle during a collision between two or more particles known as the momentum equation in order to calculate the speed of a final partilce. and if you divide by zero mass, the particle has infinited speed which is impossible since no particle can travel faster than the speed of light.
I don't understand.

I have a detector, an electron beam is directed to a certain target. Whenever one electron induces a collision in the target, and other recoil particles are produced (s.a., a photon), the first thing I do is to reconstruct my electron. Then I do know when the collision occurred as well as where it occurred (at the level of the target at a time which I know very precisely because the beam is very well under control).

Now if I see in my detectors a hit not corresponding to any charged particle track, I have a photon candidate. To ensure that it is actually a photon (and not, say, a neutron) one of the means I use is to calculate its speed. Since I actually do that, I have a very hard time figuring out what your objection can possibly be.

The photon's charge is probably known with a better precision that the masses of any other particle.

Within a very small uncertainty, we can assume it is zero.
So it is wrong to assume that the mass of the photon is unknown: we know it is zero within a very small uncertainty.

Does anyone know the upper limit on the mass of the photon, and how it was established?
The same kind of data are also well known for the neutrinos today.
It would be funny to compare the available data for photon and neutrino and the methods involved.
I guess the photon is easier to measure! :rolleyes:

In the same line of thought, I read recently a page about the charge of the photon:

http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/11/7/8/1?rss=2.0"

The charge of the photon is also very well known: it is zero within an extremely small uncertainty.

Last edited by a moderator:
also, there is some dispute or difference in semantic about using the term "massless" for photons without any qualification. photons have mass:

[tex] m = \frac{E}{c^2} = \frac{h \nu}{c^2} [/tex]

but no rest mass (or "invariant mass")

[tex] m_0 = m \sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}} [/tex]

because their velocity is [itex] v = c [/itex] .

The http://pdglive.lbl.gov/popupblockdata.brl?nodein=S000M&fsizein=1 indicates :
  • [tex]m_{\gamma} < 6 \times 10^{-17}[/tex] eV (from Ryutov (Plasma Physics Control Fusion 39 (1997) A73) : magnetohydrodynamics argument concerning survival of the Sun's field to the radius of the Earth's orbit
  • [tex]m_{\gamma} < 7 \times 10^{-19}[/tex] eV (from Luo et al. Phys.Rev.Lett.90:081801,2003) : determination of a limit on [tex]\mu^2A < 1.1 \times 10^{-11}[/tex] T/m (with [tex]\mu^{-1}[/tex] = characteristic length for photon mass; [tex]A[/tex] =ambient vector potential) however Goldhaber argue that because plasma current effects are neglected, the Luo limit does not provide the best available limit on [tex]\mu^{2}A[/tex] nor a reliable limit at all on [tex]\mu[/tex]. The reason is that the [tex]A[/tex] associated with cluster magnetic fields could become arbitrarily small in plasma voids, whose existence would be compatible with present knowledge. Luo reply that fields of distant clusters are not accurately mapped, but assert that a zero A is unlikely given what we know about the magnetic field in our galaxy.
See references at the link to particle data group.

I don't see why there's a problem with massless particles. I can only guess that there's a problem with your initial assumptions of what mass is.

Treat mass as the manifestation of an as-yet unknown gauge field. (Dodgy terminology here as I know nothing about QFT, but I'm going to hazard a guess that a gauge field is what I'm talking about...). A photon is simply a quantum that doesn't interact with the mass-field force carriers - in precisely the same way that Z bosons don't interact with the electromagnetic field.

What I am getting at is that it should not be unreasonable for a particle to have no mass if you treat mass in the same way as the other properties of matter.

Sojourner01 said:
I don't see why there's a problem with massless particles. I can only guess that there's a problem with your initial assumptions of what mass is.

Treat mass as the manifestation of an as-yet unknown gauge field. (Dodgy terminology here as I know nothing about QFT, but I'm going to hazard a guess that a gauge field is what I'm talking about...). A photon is simply a quantum that doesn't interact with the mass-field force carriers - in precisely the same way that Z bosons don't interact with the electromagnetic field.

What I am getting at is that it should not be unreasonable for a particle to have no mass if you treat mass in the same way as the other properties of matter.

You are not that far off. In fact, if the Standard Model is correct, ALL fundamental particles are actually massless! So intrinsically, mass isn't an inherent property. It is the coupling to the Higgs fields that gives many particles a property that we call "mass". Particles such as photons and possibly the "gravitons" do not couple to this field (at least not in the lower order interactions - a high energy theorist insisted I say that last time I asked him about this).

Zz.

Excellent, thanks. That's what I was trying to communicate, but I wasn't aware that the Higgs mechanism was considered 'fact' or as-good-as.

Sojourner01 said:

Although, as pointed out by ZapperZ, it's true that in the Standard model masses arise from the so-called Yukawa couplings of the particles with the Higgs field, I have a problem with introducing the mass this way. The problem is that there is no fundamental reason to say that the mass must be presented as arising from the interaction with some "mass field carrier". By that I mean that one may write down perfectly legitimate theories of scalar particles or spin 1/2 particles that are massless without invoking any "mass-carrier field". Mass is then simply a property of the field that says that energy is required to create excitations of the field even in the infinite wavelength limit.

There are, I'm sure, variations to this. I could also cite the effective mass in straightforward condensed matter system, where the electrons in your conductor do not actually have the same "mass" as the electronic bare mass, and how "holes", which are vacuum vacancies, can actually acquire mass simply via their self-energy interactions.

We simply can't account for everything that people prefer.

Zz.

Sojourner01 said:
Excellent, thanks. That's what I was trying to communicate, but I wasn't aware that the Higgs mechanism was considered 'fact' or as-good-as.

I was talking to a professional physicist a month or so ago who told me about a recent conference he attended. He said that only about half the attendees felt that Higgs was the right concept, and viewed it instead as some kind of flaw in the Standard Model.

That is nothing new. For example, if you read http://cerncourier.com/cws/article/cern/29815" on the whole LHC and the search for the Higgs, this is what he had to say:

In the meantime, what does he think will be the most important discovery at the LHC? "Everybody is focusing on the Higgs and most feel it will be discovered," he observes. "But," he adds, "it may be more exciting eventually if it is not discovered."

There are many physicists who will be excited if the Higgs is found. However, I know of many more that would be ecstatic if it isn't. People may not believe it, but this is how physics is done, and how "discoveries" are made when something unexpected happens.

Zz.

The last talk by J. Ellis I attended, he clearly stated the same opinion : it is clear that it would be much more interesting if the Higgs is not found. I even felt that he expected something else would be found. That was just my biased impression however. :smile:

It would however be a diplomatic challenge to recover polician's confidence if we do not find (at least) one Higgs boson.

What is a massless photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle that carries electromagnetic energy. It is considered massless because it has no rest mass, meaning it does not have any physical substance or weight.

How can something be both massless and have energy?

According to Einstein's famous equation E=mc², energy and mass are interchangeable. In the case of a photon, its energy is equivalent to its mass, and since it has no rest mass, it is considered massless.

How do massless photons travel at the speed of light?

Since photons have no mass, they are not subject to the laws of inertia and can travel at the speed of light in a vacuum. This is the maximum speed allowed in the universe and is a fundamental constant in physics.

What is the significance of massless photons in the study of light?

The fact that photons are massless gives us insight into the nature of light. It explains why light can travel through a vacuum and the speed at which it travels. This concept is crucial in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics and relativity.

Are there any practical applications of massless photons?

Yes, the concept of massless photons is essential in fields such as telecommunications, where light is used to transmit information through fiber optic cables. It is also used in medical imaging and other technologies that utilize light energy.