1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Masters in UK or Masters abroad?

1. Jun 22, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone, I'm in quite a predicament. Currently I'm a first year Physics Bsc(Honours) Undergrad at Queen Mary University Of London. I'll be going to UCLA next year for a study abroad exchange programme and hope this will help me decide my plans but here's my question:

Is it best to upgrade to an Msci at QMUL or do Msc/Masters either at a better university in the UK (UCL, Imperial, Oxford) or in the US (I.e UCLA, MIT, etc)?

help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

4. Jun 25, 2014 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Well, IMO it depends on what you want to do/work on-this will lead you to where you want to go. It doesn't go otherwise...
    The university won't change itself to fit your own tastes or talents- your talents/tastes are supposed to lead you at the appropriate university and master program. For example you want to work on the A field- you should look for a university that's working intensively on that field and/or has the appropriate professors with whom you can cooperate/work.
    So the question as stated, can't really accept an answer (lacks information as Greg pointed out).

5. Jun 26, 2014 #4
    Well I primarily would like to seek a career in astrophysics or in the space industry; hence the reason I would like to study abroad in the US. I also like the idea of becoming a full time international student (I know it also looks good of your resume/CV) and I was wondering how much importance Grad schools place on your previous universities reputation as oppose to the grades you achieve there.

6. Jun 26, 2014 #5
    Your grades and ability to work hard are more important. The prestige of Universities is only relevant if you really go to such a great University such as MIPT, Heidelberg, Leiden etc.

An excellent grade from a standard state university is more desirable, than a mediocre grade from a prestigious university. Of course, getting an excellent grade from a top university like MIPT will probably triumph over other applications in most cases.

7. Jun 26, 2014 #6
    I think the opportunity to study abroad is something you should never pass up. I would put all other considerations behind that. I could be wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook