Material for a high transmittance Prism and where to Buy

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter InventiveGuy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Material Prism
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
InventiveGuy
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I am working on a science fair project that will concentrate sunlight and then separate it into 3 sections, visible light, infrared light, and everything else (ex. UV). Each will have its own use. I was wondering how to do about the dispersion of the light. I was originally going to use a glass prism but learned that regular glass absorbs infrared.

Are there special prisms designed for more than just the visible spectrum? If so, where i could buy one?
Also any other ideas on how i could separate the light would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You might look up "diffraction grating". That should be enough of a hint.
 
Thankyou for the quick response, i had completely overlooked diffraction gratings.

I am wanting to conserve as much of the energy as i can. If i was to use a diffraction grating, would i loose much of the energy?
 
At the risk of sounding rude, this is your project. It wouldn't be right for us to answer all of your questions.