Material selection for vehicle leaf spring

In summary, the conversation discussed a material selection process for a vehicle rear leaf spring suspension. The top 10 materials selected were based on factors such as fatigue, fracture, toughness, cost, and yield. These materials included various types of stainless steel, aluminum, titanium, and nickel-Fe-Cr alloy. However, due to difficulty in manufacturing, titanium would not be a suitable choice. The suggestion was made to consider specially formulated steels for spring manufacture instead.
mattyboson12

Homework Statement

I've gone though a material selection process to pick the optimum material for a rear leaf spring suspension for a vehicle (~700mm long) and I've selected the top 10 materials based on fatigue, fracture, toughness, cost, yield etc:

-Stainless steel, martensitic, AISI 440B, tempered at 316°C
-Stainless steel, austenitic, BioDur 108, 30-40% cold worked
-Stainless steel, austenitic, AISI 302, HT grade D
-Stainless steel, austenitic, AISI 304, 1/2 hard
-Aluminum, 7010, T7651
-Aluminum, 7055, T7751
-Aluminum, 7055, T77511
-Titanium, commercial purity, Grade 4
-Nickel-Fe-Cr alloy, NIMONIC 942, bar
-Nickel-Fe-Cr alloy, D-979, bar

In terms of manufacturing the materials into the shape below, which would be best?
upload_2016-11-22_21-45-12.png

Homework Equations

n/a
3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
From my understanding, titanium is notoriously hard to manufacture so I would not choose this

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-22_21-45-2.png
    upload_2016-11-22_21-45-2.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 535
  • upload_2016-11-22_21-49-17.png
    upload_2016-11-22_21-49-17.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 562
Physics news on Phys.org
I would not have chosen any of those materials for a vehicle suspension spring .

Have a look instead at some of specially formulated steels available for spring manufacture .

Likes BvU

1. What factors should be considered when selecting materials for vehicle leaf springs?

The main factors to consider when selecting materials for vehicle leaf springs include the weight of the vehicle, the desired spring rate, the expected load and stress on the springs, and the intended use of the vehicle (i.e. off-roading, towing, etc.). Other factors such as cost, availability, and corrosion resistance may also play a role in the material selection process.

2. What are the most commonly used materials for vehicle leaf springs?

The most commonly used materials for vehicle leaf springs are steel and composite materials. Steel is preferred for its strength and durability, while composite materials offer a lighter weight option with high strength and corrosion resistance.

3. How does the material selection impact the performance of vehicle leaf springs?

The material selection for vehicle leaf springs plays a crucial role in the performance of the springs. The chosen material will determine the stiffness, strength, and durability of the springs, which directly affect the handling, ride quality, and weight capacity of the vehicle.

4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using steel for vehicle leaf springs?

The advantages of using steel for vehicle leaf springs include its high strength, durability, and cost-effectiveness. However, steel can be heavy, making it less ideal for vehicles where weight is a concern. It is also prone to corrosion and may require regular maintenance.

5. Are there any alternative materials to traditional steel leaf springs?

Yes, there are alternative materials to traditional steel leaf springs, such as composite materials, which offer a lighter weight option with high strength and corrosion resistance. Other alternatives include air springs, which use compressed air to support the vehicle's weight, and torsion bar suspensions, which use a torsion bar instead of a traditional leaf spring.