Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Material that can be bent repetitively without fatique?

1. Mar 18, 2015 #1
    I am looking for a material that I can bend easily into different desired shape frequently without breaking or losing strength. The material can either be elastic or not elastic. I know sheet spring can do but if I bend it like 70 to 80 degrees will it permanently deformed or become fatique?

Will you recommend a few material composite that allow me to do that? or any examples of this usage?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2015 #2
    Some thoughts:
    If it doesn't need to stay by itself in the shape that it's forced into, perhaps a amorphous polymer that is in it's rubbery plateau region in the operating temperature would be suitable. For an example (at the room temperature) cross-poly(butadiene-stat-styrene) that is used in rubber bands. If it needs to be a composite material, maybe a particle reinforced polymer matrix where the matrix material is in that same rubbery plateau state. Though there might be problems with adhesion between the particles and the matrix if the composite is being bent a lot.
    The first thing that came into my mind when reading your post was the silicone cupcake moulds that can be turned inside out. Now I think I need to visit a bakery...

4. Mar 28, 2015 #3
  5. Mar 28, 2015 #4

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Silly putty

6. Mar 29, 2015 #5
    Socks

7. May 10, 2015 #6

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I seem to recall that lead metal (Pb) self-anneals at room temperature. So given time it heals after being bent, then can be bent again, and this way never exhibits fatigue.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook