Material that can be bent repetitively without fatique?

• Thread starter nomisme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a material that can easily be bent into different shapes without breaking or losing strength. The material can be elastic or not elastic, and the discussion includes possible options such as amorphous polymers, composite materials, and self-annealing metals like lead. Examples of materials that fit the criteria, including cross-poly(butadiene-stat-styrene) and nickel titanium, are also mentioned.
nomisme
I am looking for a material that I can bend easily into different desired shape frequently without breaking or losing strength. The material can either be elastic or not elastic. I know sheet spring can do but if I bend it like 70 to 80 degrees will it permanently deformed or become fatique?

Will you recommend a few material composite that allow me to do that? or any examples of this usage?

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Some thoughts:
If it doesn't need to stay by itself in the shape that it's forced into, perhaps a amorphous polymer that is in it's rubbery plateau region in the operating temperature would be suitable. For an example (at the room temperature) cross-poly(butadiene-stat-styrene) that is used in rubber bands. If it needs to be a composite material, maybe a particle reinforced polymer matrix where the matrix material is in that same rubbery plateau state. Though there might be problems with adhesion between the particles and the matrix if the composite is being bent a lot.
The first thing that came into my mind when reading your post was the silicone cupcake moulds that can be turned inside out. Now I think I need to visit a bakery...

Silly putty

Socks

I seem to recall that lead metal (Pb) self-anneals at room temperature. So given time it heals after being bent, then can be bent again, and this way never exhibits fatigue.

1. What is "material that can be bent repetitively without fatigue"?

Material that can be bent repetitively without fatigue refers to a type of material that is able to withstand repeated bending or flexing without showing signs of damage or degradation. This is an important quality in materials used for various applications, such as in construction, manufacturing, and engineering.

2. How is the ability to be bent repetitively without fatigue measured?

The ability of a material to be bent repetitively without fatigue is typically measured through fatigue testing. This involves subjecting the material to repetitive bending or flexing under controlled conditions and observing any changes in its properties or structural integrity over time.

3. What are some examples of materials that can be bent repetitively without fatigue?

Some examples of materials that can be bent repetitively without fatigue include certain types of metals, such as aluminum, titanium, and steel alloys. Other materials like carbon fiber, rubber, and certain plastics also have good fatigue resistance.

4. What are the benefits of using materials that can be bent repetitively without fatigue?

The benefits of using materials that can be bent repetitively without fatigue include increased durability and longevity of the material, reduced maintenance and repair costs, and improved safety in applications where fatigue failure can have serious consequences.

5. Can materials that can be bent repetitively without fatigue still break or fail?

Yes, even materials with good fatigue resistance can still break or fail under extreme conditions or if they are subjected to excessive stress or strain. However, the ability to withstand repetitive bending without fatigue makes these materials more reliable and less prone to sudden failure compared to other materials.