Materials/Solid State Physics Problem Check.

In summary, Levi has solved several problems involving thermodynamics and material properties including calculating critical temperature, latent heat of fusion, change in entropy, number of components in a mixture, applied force, Poisson's ratio, and Young's modulus. Levi's solutions were all correct and he encourages others to double check their calculations to avoid mistakes.
IrAlien
Hello, I've been looking through some books and done some examples. Unfortunately, they never give proper solutions. If anyone could help verify my responses, then it would be much appreciated.

1.The Van der Waals constants for a gas are found to be a=10m^3.Pa/mol, and b=0.001m^3/mol. Calculate the critical temperature in K to the nearest degree.

RT(c)=8a/27b
T(c)=8*10 / 27*0.001*8.314 = 356K

2. At a pressure of p=2atm, the melting point of a material is T(m)=370K. The density of the solid phase is rho(s)=5400kg/m^3 and the density of the liquid phase is rho(l)=4500kg/m^3. If the pressure is changed to p=57atm, the fractional change in transition temperature is (deltaT)/T=0.045. Calculate the latent heat of fusion in kJ/kg to one decimal place.

(deltaP)/(deltaT) = (deltaH) / T(deltaV)
=> (deltaH) = (deltaP)T(deltaV)/(deltaT)
deltaP = 57-2 = 55atm = 55*101325Pa = 5572875Pa
deltaV = rho(l)^-1 - rho(s)^-1 = 1/27000 m^3/kg
deltaT = 0.045T = 0.045*370 = 16.65
.'. (deltaH) = 5572875*370/(16.65*27000) = 4586.7J/kg = 4.6kJ/kg

3. For a transition which occurs at a temperature of T(m) 150degrees C with a latent heat of 500kJ/mol, calculate the change in entropy in kJ/(mol.K) to one decimal place.

deltaS = deltaH/T = 500000/423 = 1.2kJ/(mol.K)

4. It is observed that at a particular temperature and pressure a mixture has 2 solid phases and 2 liquid phases in equilibrium. If the system is invariant at this temperature and pressure, calculate the number of components in the mixture.

F = C+2
Maximum degrees of freedom is 2+2 = 4
C = components
=> 4-2 = C
.'. C = 2

5. A bar of material is stretched from it's initial length of 3m to 3.001m. If the bar has a 5cm*5cm cross section, and it's Young's modulus is 7.6GPa, then assuming elastic behaviour, calculate the applied force to the nearest N.

Strain = Change in Length/ Initial Length = 0.001/3
Stress = Young's Modulus*Strain = 7.6e9 * 0.001/3 = 2533333.333...
Force = Area*Stress = 0.05m*0.05m * 2533333.333...
.'. F = 6333N

6. A cylindrical rod of diameter 1cm is stretched from it's initial length of 1.2m to a length of 1.23m. If the diameter of the bar is reduced to 0.9966cm, then assuming elastic behaviour, calculate Poisson's ratio for the material to 2 decimal places.

mu = poisson's ratio = - (strain in x)/(strain in z)
mu = -(change in diameter/diameter)/(change in length/length)
mu = -(-0.0034e-2/1e-2)/(0.03/1.2) = +0.136 = 0.14

7. A material has a bulk modulus of 56GPa and a Poisson's ratio of 0.27. Calculate Young's Modulus to the nearest GPa.

Bulk Modulus = K = Young's Modulus/(3-6mu)
Y = K(3-6mu) = 56e9(3-6(0.27)) = 77.3GPa = 77GPa

I have some more problems which I've done but I think that may be enough for now. I hope I have gotten these all right but sometimes I make stupid mistakes. Thanks in advance.

Levi.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Levi,

Thank you for sharing your solutions with us. I have reviewed your responses and they all seem to be correct. It's always a good idea to double check your calculations and make sure you haven't made any mistakes. Keep up the good work! If you have any more questions or problems, don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is Materials/Solid State Physics?

Materials/Solid State Physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the study of the physical properties of materials, particularly in their solid state. It involves understanding the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other particles in solids, and how they interact with each other to determine the material's properties.

2. What are some common applications of Materials/Solid State Physics?

Materials/Solid State Physics has many practical applications, including the development of new materials for technology and industry, the creation of more efficient electronic devices, and the advancement of renewable energy sources. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as nanotechnology, biophysics, and materials engineering.

3. How does Materials/Solid State Physics differ from other branches of physics?

Materials/Solid State Physics differs from other branches of physics in its focus on the study of materials in their solid state. This means that it considers the properties of materials at the atomic and molecular level, rather than at the macroscopic level. It also involves the use of complex mathematical models and experimental techniques to understand the behavior of materials.

4. What are some current challenges in Materials/Solid State Physics research?

Some current challenges in Materials/Solid State Physics research include developing new materials with specific properties, understanding and controlling the behavior of materials at the nanoscale, and finding ways to improve the efficiency and sustainability of materials used in technology and industry. There is also a growing focus on the development of materials that can withstand extreme conditions, such as high temperatures and pressure.

5. How is Materials/Solid State Physics relevant to everyday life?

Materials/Solid State Physics has a wide range of real-world applications that impact our daily lives. For example, the development of new materials has led to advancements in technology, such as faster and smaller electronic devices. It also plays a crucial role in renewable energy sources, such as solar panels and fuel cells. Materials/Solid State Physics also helps in understanding and improving the properties of everyday materials, such as metals and plastics, making them stronger, more durable, and more environmentally friendly.