1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math 131 calculus for social science

1. Aug 10, 2009 #1
    hi

i go to queens college, i have taken math 115 and got A+ and im allowed to take math 131 calculus for social science. i would like to get a head start on learning this stuff before school starts and was wondering if anyone can recommend me any videos to start with math 131 calculus for social sciences.

gambit

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2009 #2
    You need to be a lot more clear. No one knows what math 131 is unless they go to your college. If you gave a course description or something, we could suggest resources for you.

4. Aug 11, 2009 #3
    Course Title: Calculus with Applications to the Social Sciences I

The first part of a two-semester sequence (Mathematics 131 and 132) intended to introduce the fundamental ideas and techniques of the calculus to nonscience students. Special emphasis is given to applications. Credit is given for each course satisfactorily completed; a student need not take the entire sequence. Topics include functions and graphs; derivatives and differentiation techniques; the marginal concept in economics; optimization methods; compound interest; exponential and logarithmic functions.

5. Aug 12, 2009 #4

uart

Science Advisor

Hi gambit. Where are you currently with knowledge of the things mention above? Have you had any exposure to functions and limits? What about logarithms and exponentials? It doesn't matter if you haven't seen those things as it sounds like a pretty easy introductory course.

If you have some maths aptitude but haven't yet been exposed to calculus then I'd say yes definitely take that course. You’ll probably find it quite interesting and also useful in many ways.

6. Aug 12, 2009 #5
    functions in graphs, yes in math 115
    limits, no
    logs, i forgot but i remember studying in highschool
    exponentials , yes but forgot

any videos for this course?

7. Aug 13, 2009 #6
    Here's a link to some videos from http://press.princeton.edu/video/banner/" [Broken] by Adrian Banner. The first few video lectures will cover most of the material mentioned in the course description.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook