Math 131 calculus for social science

In summary: You can also check out Khan Academy's videos on calculus, they have a lot of great resources available.In summary, the speaker is a student at Queens College who has taken Math 115 and is now moving on to Math 131, a calculus course with applications to the social sciences. They are looking for recommendations for videos to help them get a head start on learning the material before the semester begins. The course covers topics such as functions, graphs, derivatives, optimization, and compound interest. The speaker has some prior knowledge of functions and exponentials but may need a refresher on logarithms. Recommendations for videos include those from Adrian Banner and Khan Academy.
gambit55
hi

i go to queens college, i have taken math 115 and got A+ and I am allowed to take math 131 calculus for social science. i would like to get a head start on learning this stuff before school starts and was wondering if anyone can recommend me any videos to start with math 131 calculus for social sciences.

gambit

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You need to be a lot more clear. No one knows what math 131 is unless they go to your college. If you gave a course description or something, we could suggest resources for you.

Course Title: Calculus with Applications to the Social Sciences I

The first part of a two-semester sequence (Mathematics 131 and 132) intended to introduce the fundamental ideas and techniques of the calculus to nonscience students. Special emphasis is given to applications. Credit is given for each course satisfactorily completed; a student need not take the entire sequence. Topics include functions and graphs; derivatives and differentiation techniques; the marginal concept in economics; optimization methods; compound interest; exponential and logarithmic functions.

Hi gambit. Where are you currently with knowledge of the things mention above? Have you had any exposure to functions and limits? What about logarithms and exponentials? It doesn't matter if you haven't seen those things as it sounds like a pretty easy introductory course.

If you have some maths aptitude but haven't yet been exposed to calculus then I'd say yes definitely take that course. You’ll probably find it quite interesting and also useful in many ways.

functions in graphs, yes in math 115
limits, no
logs, i forgot but i remember studying in high school
exponentials , yes but forgot

any videos for this course?

Here's a link to some videos from http://press.princeton.edu/video/banner/" by Adrian Banner. The first few video lectures will cover most of the material mentioned in the course description.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of taking "Math 131 calculus for social science"?

The purpose of taking "Math 131 calculus for social science" is to understand and apply the fundamental concepts of calculus in the context of social science. This includes learning how to use mathematical models to analyze and solve real-world problems in fields such as economics, sociology, and psychology.

2. Do I need to have a strong background in math to take this course?

No, this course is designed for students with a basic understanding of algebra and functions. However, it is helpful to have a solid foundation in these areas to better grasp the concepts and applications of calculus.

3. What topics will be covered in "Math 131 calculus for social science"?

The topics covered in this course typically include limits and continuity, derivatives, optimization, and integrals. These concepts will be applied to various social science scenarios, such as analyzing supply and demand curves or growth models in economics.

4. Can I use a calculator in this course?

Yes, a calculator is allowed and can be helpful for some calculations. However, it is important to note that understanding the underlying concepts and being able to solve problems by hand is also crucial in this course.

5. What are the benefits of learning calculus for social science?

Learning calculus for social science can improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as provide a strong foundation for future courses in economics, psychology, and other social science fields. It can also enhance your ability to interpret and analyze data, making you a more well-rounded and competitive candidate in the job market.