1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math electives

1. Nov 27, 2014 #1
    Hello, I'm debating between taking either abstract algebra, theory of numbers, or intermediate symbolic logic as a math elective. Does anyone have any idea which would make my life easier?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2014 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

If your life is going to be spent as a philosopher or lawyer, I suggest taking the logic course. If you're going to be a mathematician, I think the choice betwen abstract algebra and logic is a toss-up. Physicists need to know linear algebra, I don't know if that's part of the abstract algebra course you mention. Linear algebra helps in understanding common applications of statistics to the social sciences.

4. Nov 29, 2014 #3
    Highly dependent on what you plan on doing. Generally speaking, I wouldn't recommend any of those classes as things to make your life easier. I don't think any of them are terribly practical, although they could be turned in a more practical direction, if you followed up on them in the right way (study cryptography, maybe).

If you mean to ask which is the easiest, that is totally dependent on the level of the course and the instructor.

If you mean to ask which is the most important later in math, I would say abstract algebra is the most fundamental, unless you're going to be a logician, but you'd still probably want to do abstract algebra later.

5. Nov 30, 2014 #4
    I'm studying to become a elementary school teacher with a concentration in math. Neither of these seem to be useful for that purpose but I am required to pick an elective anyway which is why I am having trouble deciding which one will give me the least problems.

6. Nov 30, 2014 #5

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

If you are going to be a math teacher who lectures students to think logically, better take logic so you will know what you are recommending.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook