1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Help Forum: Find the limit if it exists

1. Sep 12, 2012 #1
    I'm having a really difficult time understanding limits from the graph. I don't completely understand how to find if the limit exists or not. I tried to do these for my homework but I don't know if they are right. Could someone please help me understand limits?
    152hn36.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm having trouble reading the little + and - symbols in your limits. Is there any way you can display this at a higher resolution?

[edit] just noticed that in b and c, the limits are as x approaches -2, whereas in d and e, x approaches 2.

The first one that looks wrong is b. Is that the limit as x approaches -2 from the positive side? If so, the answer is not 1. To answer this question, ignore everything to the left of x = -2, and ignore what happens at x = -2 itself. Focus only on what the graph is doing as x approaches -2 from the right side. What number is the graph approaching?

4. Sep 12, 2012 #3
    B and C are -2, whereas D and E are +2. Going blind looking at it.

5. Sep 12, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The limits appear to be:
    \begin{align*}
    \lim_{x \to -3} f(x) \\
    \lim_{x \to -2^+} f(x) \\
    \lim_{x \to -2^-} f(x) \\
    \lim_{x \to 2^+} f(x) \\
    \lim_{x \to 2^-} f(x) \\
    \lim_{x \to 4^-} f(x) \\
    \lim_{x \to 4^+} f(x) \\
    \lim_{x \to 6^+} f(x)
    \end{align*}

6. Sep 12, 2012 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Explain how you arrived at your answers, so we can see where you're going wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook