Math Help Forum: Find the limit if it exists

I'm having a really difficult time understanding limits from the graph. I don't completely understand how to find if the limit exists or not. I tried to do these for my homework but I don't know if they are right. Could someone please help me understand limits?
152hn36.jpg

Answers and Replies

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm having trouble reading the little + and - symbols in your limits. Is there any way you can display this at a higher resolution?

[edit] just noticed that in b and c, the limits are as x approaches -2, whereas in d and e, x approaches 2.

The first one that looks wrong is b. Is that the limit as x approaches -2 from the positive side? If so, the answer is not 1. To answer this question, ignore everything to the left of x = -2, and ignore what happens at x = -2 itself. Focus only on what the graph is doing as x approaches -2 from the right side. What number is the graph approaching?

B and C are -2, whereas D and E are +2. Going blind looking at it.

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
The limits appear to be:
\begin{align*}
\lim_{x \to -3} f(x) \\
\lim_{x \to -2^+} f(x) \\
\lim_{x \to -2^-} f(x) \\
\lim_{x \to 2^+} f(x) \\
\lim_{x \to 2^-} f(x) \\
\lim_{x \to 4^-} f(x) \\
\lim_{x \to 4^+} f(x) \\
\lim_{x \to 6^+} f(x)
\end{align*}

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
I'm having a really difficult time understanding limits from the graph. I don't completely understand how to find if the limit exists or not. I tried to do these for my homework but I don't know if they are right. Could someone please help me understand limits?
Explain how you arrived at your answers, so we can see where you're going wrong.