Exploring Independent University of Moscow: Seeking Recommendations & Advice

In summary, the speaker is considering studying at the Independent University of Moscow next semester or next year. They have not yet spoken to their university or filled out the application, but plan to do so by the end of March. One reason for their interest is a class taught by a professor who studied and teaches at the university. They plan to apply during their spring break and may communicate with their university remotely. They are curious about the program's selectivity and reputation. They have also been accepted into a program in Budapest, but feel that Moscow's course offerings better align with their academic needs.
zpconn
In short, I think I may want to spend either next semester or all of next year at the Independent University of Moscow, but I've only really decided this recently.

I haven't spoken to my university, asked for recommendations yet, or filled out the application form, and all of this must be done by the end of March. So it's definitely late for me to be making this decision (and because of the lateness I may decide against going through it). One impetus for the decision is the fact that one of my classes is taught by someone who both studied and still teaches at the Independent University of Moscow (he goes back there every other semester or so), and it's one of the best classes I've taken. The advanced coursework offered in Moscow is another impetus and of course the idea of actually studying in Moscow! Beyond that, the program itself seems to be held in extremely high regard in general.

If I decide to go through with this, I'm probably going to try to get together the application over the next week, which is my spring break, and may communicate with my university remotely--not an ideal situation, I know.

Anyway, has anybody participated or known any former participants? How selective is the program? Is it like REUs where hundreds of people apply for just five to ten spots? I'd just like to hear general comments about the program and so forth. I would talk to my professor who's been there, but, as mentioned above, this is bad timing: I'm now on spring break and am flying home tomorrow! So at best I'll be able to communicate only remotely next week.

If I don't decide to do it next semester, the following semester would be an even more likely candidate. I know there's also a well-known program in Budapest, but I think Moscow has a selection of courses that match the material I need and want to cover much more nicely.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I just got accepted into the program, so I'm bumping this in the hope that maybe someone will be around this time who knows about the program! I'm disappointed that it's quite a bit harder to find information on Math in Moscow than it is to find information on the Budapest program.

I'm thinking I'll go for at least one semester and decide about staying a second semester after the first one is over.

1. What makes Independent University of Moscow unique?

The Independent University of Moscow (IUM) is unique in its approach to education, as it focuses on interdisciplinary studies and encourages independent thinking and research. It also offers a wide range of courses in various fields, making it a diverse and dynamic learning environment.

2. How can I apply to Independent University of Moscow?

To apply to IUM, you will need to submit an online application form, along with your academic transcripts, personal statement, and letters of recommendation. The university also requires applicants to take an entrance exam and participate in an interview.

3. What are the admission requirements for Independent University of Moscow?

The admission requirements for IUM vary depending on the program and level of study. Generally, the university looks for students with strong academic backgrounds, a passion for learning, and the ability to think critically and independently. Fluency in Russian is also required for most programs.

4. What resources and support services are available at Independent University of Moscow?

IUM offers a range of resources and support services to its students, including libraries, research centers, and career services. The university also has a strong network of alumni and partnerships with other institutions, providing students with opportunities for research and collaboration.

5. What are the living arrangements and campus life like at Independent University of Moscow?

IUM does not have a traditional campus, as it is located in the city of Moscow. However, the university provides assistance for students in finding accommodation and offers a variety of extracurricular activities, including clubs and events, to enhance student life and promote a sense of community.