Math major applying to physics Ph.D. Program

In summary, I believe that having taken many graduate level physics courses, and doing undergraduate level math courses with a focus on geometry, will help me get into a decent physics program. However, I don't think I will have time to take more lab classes in the future. I hope that doing some research this semester and this summer will help me out.
Ivor Chen
Hello all,

I'm a junior math major at uc Berkeley. And I'll be applying to physics Ph.D. programs. I have taken almost all required physics undergraduate courses, and have already finished about six graduate physics courses. And I got A on all of these classes. I expect myself to finish more graduate physics courses later on.

Besides that, I've done plenty of math undergrad and grad courses with special focus on geometry, with A on all these.

But I haven't done any lab courses, and I don't think I'll have time to take these courses in the future. Also, I haven't really worked in a research group before.

I'm just wondering if all these graduate courses help my grad school application. And will I be able to get into a decent physics program with only a math major?

Likes WWGD
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivor Chen said:
Hello all,

I'm a junior math major at uc Berkeley. And I'll be applying to physics Ph.D. programs. I have taken almost all required physics undergraduate courses, and have already finished about six graduate physics courses. And I got A on all of these classes. I expect myself to finish more graduate physics courses later on.

Besides that, I've done plenty of math undergrad and grad courses with special focus on geometry, with A on all these.

But I haven't done any lab courses, and I don't think I'll have time to take these courses in the future. Also, I haven't really worked in a research group before.

I'm just wondering if all these graduate courses help my grad school application. And will I be able to get into a decent physics program with only a math major?

Hi, why don't you try e-mailing profs . in departments you are interested in and ask them? It usually helps if you know the specific area you are interested in. Maybe you can take the Physics GRE and get a good grade to improve your case --which it seems you are able to do given your grades in the Physics classes you have taken.

Are you looking to do experimental work?

Well research experience is one of the most important aspects of a grad school application, so this will definitely hurt you.

Dishsoap said:
Well research experience is one of the most important aspects of a grad school application, so this will definitely hurt you.
Maybe he can make up for it by taking undergrad lab classes. Or maybe Ivor wants to do more theoretical work and having done lab work may not be that hurtful. Still, I will give Ivor a 'Like' so that he does not have division by 0 : (6/0 ) :).

jbrussell93 said:
Are you looking to do experimental work?
No, I'm looking for theoretical work; possibly on quantum gravity

WWGD said:
Maybe he can make up for it by taking undergrad lab classes. Or maybe Ivor wants to do more theoretical work and having done lab work may not be that hurtful. Still, I will give Ivor a 'Like' so that he does not have division by 0 : (6/0 ) :).
Thanks for the reply. So if I can get some research experience for this semester and this summer, would it help?

Ivor Chen said:
Thanks for the reply. So if I can get some research experience for this semester and this summer, would it help?
It may be worth asking people in departments you are interested in: look for someone in your area of interest and ask them. I don't want you to make the effort for nothing. Ask too, about the Physics GRE. Even better, you may be able to start coming up with ideas ffor thesis work with a prof. Good luck!

I am suggesting something along these lines:

Write an email:
Dear professor X: I am an undergraduate Math student interested in doing graduate work in Physics in the area of... My situation is this:...
Would it be helpful towards my admission if I were to take lab classes? Would a high score in the Physics GRE help improve my chances?

You may be redirected to the department chair, but this can help, and will not hurt.

Maybe you can also drop by your own Physics department there at Berkeley.

You absolutely need some form of research experience. It doesn't need to be in your exact field, but it is one of if not the most important parts of your application.

I know a lot of students from Berkeley at my current institution. They all had extensive research experience. There seems to be a lot of opportunities for undergrad there so not having to taken advantage of them will definitely hurt your. It is possible to do some form of research in theory (or you could even work in an experimental group if you eventually want to do theory), so applying as a theorist will not make up for having less of a research background.

WWGD said:
I am suggesting something along these lines:

Write an email:
Dear professor X: I am an undergraduate Math student interested in doing graduate work in Physics in the area of... My situation is this:...
Would it be helpful towards my admission if I were to take lab classes? Would a high score in the Physics GRE help improve my chances?

You may be redirected to the department chair, but this can help, and will not hurt.

Maybe you can also drop by your own Physics department there at Berkeley.
Thanks a lot, it's really helpful

radium said:
You absolutely need some form of research experience. It doesn't need to be in your exact field, but it is one of if not the most important parts of your application.

I know a lot of students from Berkeley at my current institution. They all had extensive research experience. There seems to be a lot of opportunities for undergrad there so not having to taken advantage of them will definitely hurt your. It is possible to do some form of research in theory (or you could even work in an experimental group if you eventually want to do theory), so applying as a theorist will not make up for having less of a research background.
Thanks a lot. And a follow up question. Does math research project help? Because I have applied to several summer math programs and summer physics programs (for example, I've applied to the Williams college REU program, the Perimeter Institute summer program, the Caltech LIGO program and others), just wondering should I go for the physics ones or the math ones?

Thank you so much!

Ivor Chen said:
Thanks a lot. And a follow up question. Does math research project help? Because I have applied to several summer math programs and summer physics programs (for example, I've applied to the Williams college REU program, the Perimeter Institute summer program, the Caltech LIGO program and others), just wondering should I go for the physics ones or the math ones?

Thank you so much!
I'm an international student, so I find that a vast majority of REU programs (even some of my school's program) do not admit students from foreign countries. Will this be considered as a weakness when I apply to Ph.D. programs?

No, as long as you show promise as a researcher and get good letters I don't think it makes a difference. If you want to apply for physics, you should choose research experience in physics unless the math project has some application in physics.

Why don't you talk to professors at Berkeley? You're already at one of the top physics departments in the world so working with someone there would put you in a good position. There are probably ways to apply for funding for you to stay over the summer.

What is the difference between a math major and a physics major?

A math major typically focuses on the theoretical and abstract aspects of mathematics, while a physics major focuses on the application of mathematical concepts to understand the physical world.

Can a math major apply to a physics Ph.D. program?

Yes, a math major can apply to a physics Ph.D. program. Many graduate programs in physics accept students from diverse backgrounds, as long as they have a strong foundation in mathematics and a passion for physics.

Do I need to have a physics background to be accepted into a physics Ph.D. program?

While having a background in physics can be beneficial, it is not always necessary for acceptance into a physics Ph.D. program. Many programs offer bridge courses for students with non-physics backgrounds to catch up on necessary concepts.

What skills from a math major are transferable to a physics Ph.D. program?

Math majors develop strong analytical and problem-solving skills, which are crucial for success in a physics Ph.D. program. Additionally, a math major's ability to think abstractly and mathematically can be applied to understanding complex physical theories and phenomena.

What can I do to prepare for a physics Ph.D. program as a math major?

To prepare for a physics Ph.D. program as a math major, you can take courses in physics and related fields, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. You can also gain research experience through internships or independent projects, and seek out opportunities to collaborate with physics professors or attend physics conferences.