Math Olympics Problem: Solving Equations with Fractions - Tips & Tricks

• Thread starter Someone1348
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a problem that was given at a math competition. The problem involves finding the value of a complicated equation, and the person asking for help has already attempted to solve it but is looking for alternative methods. They also mention that it is not a homework assignment and that they are new to the website. The final equation to calculate is (a+b+c+d)/(a+b+c+d)((a/(b+c+d))+(b/(a+c+d))+(c/(a+b+d))+(d/(a+b+c))=1.
Someone1348

Homework Statement

I had this problem on the national math olympics of my country yesterday, I couldn't solve it... Knowing that the first statement is true, calculate the value of the second equation.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{a}{b+c+d}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{b}{c+d+a}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{c}{a+b+d}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{d}{a+b+c}[/tex]=1

Calculate the value of

[tex]\frac{a^2}{b+c+d}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{b^2}{c+d+a}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{c^2}{a+b+d}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{d^2}{a+b+c}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I lost a lot of time in this problem. I first tried to make one single, although huge, fraction of it, yet it didn't seem to simplify itself just to one value. Any better ways to approach this?

By the way, please excuse me if I posted this on the wrong forum, I just found this website and am still getting used to it. Also, since it isn't my homework or something I have to eventually give as homework, it doesn't matter if you show me directly the answer... I just posted it on this forum because it somewhat looked like the right one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Caculate the following:

[tex]\frac{a+b+c+d}{a+b+c+d}\left(\frac{a}{b+c+d}+\frac{b}{a+c+d}+\frac{c}{a+b+d}+\frac{d}{a+b+c}\right)=1[/tex]

1. How do I solve equations with fractions in Math Olympics?

To solve equations with fractions in Math Olympics, start by finding a common denominator for all the fractions in the equation. Then, multiply both sides of the equation by this common denominator to eliminate the fractions. Finally, solve the equation as you would normally by combining like terms and isolating the variable on one side.

2. What is the most efficient way to solve equations with fractions in Math Olympics?

The most efficient way to solve equations with fractions in Math Olympics is to first simplify the fractions as much as possible by dividing out any common factors. Then, follow the same steps as mentioned before by finding a common denominator and eliminating the fractions. This will help reduce the number of steps needed to solve the equation.

3. How can I check my answer when solving equations with fractions in Math Olympics?

To check your answer, substitute the value you found for the variable back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a calculator to verify the answer or ask for a second opinion from a teammate or coach.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations with fractions in Math Olympics?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations with fractions in Math Olympics include forgetting to find a common denominator, making errors when multiplying or dividing fractions, and not simplifying fractions before eliminating them. It is also important to double check your work and ensure that all steps are correct.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving equations with fractions for Math Olympics?

The best way to improve your skills in solving equations with fractions for Math Olympics is to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different types of fraction equations. You can also seek help from a tutor or coach, and make use of online resources and practice problems. Additionally, try to understand the concepts behind solving fraction equations rather than just memorizing steps.