Choosing Between Math and Computer Science: A Scientist's Perspective

In summary, the person is undecided about what they will study in the university and they are unsure if they will be vacating their degree if they study math instead of CS. They recommend studying math if you want to pursue a career in the private sector. Math and computer science are both valuable degrees, but if you are not interested in either of them, you should focus on something else.
dbayraktar28
Hi, firstly sorry for my bad English

I want to ask a question to you about studying Math or CS in the university. I'm 16 and I've been dealing with CS (programming,algorithms,artificial intelligence etc.) since I was 5. I love programming and mathematics so much, but I'm undecided what I will studying in the university. I would like to studying math but everyone is saying to me that I study CS, and the reason of that is that CS is very popular. So, I'm undecided about what I'll study.. Will I be vacated if I study mathematics? I love math so much, and CS too..

I believe that I can learn programming good enough on my own.. if I don't study CS. But can I learn math good enough on my own, if I don't study math?

What is your suggestions about that?
Please help me about it...

Sorry for my bad English again .. and thank you..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a recipe for a major in computer science with a minor in mathematics! I highly recommend this route, you'll thank me when you get near guaranteed job opportunities after your undergraduate degree in the private sector. Majoring in math with no computer science will make life after school without a graduate degree very difficult by comparison (trust me..)

Undergraduate degrees in computer science and engineering are money makers, physics and mathematics will mean trouble even getting a decent job (if you're in America, I don't know about other places.)

Thank you so much for your suggestion..

I think, i will choose computer science.. Well, how can I do to learn mathematics as good enough on my own? Can I learn mathematics as good enough on my own? Is it possible?

Hey dbayraktar28 and welcome to the forums.

If you are as good as you say you are, then I would not do a CS degree.

I would instead focus on what not well versed in which would be mathematics or something that isn't CS.

The reason is simple: you will get bored and it will mostly be an absolute waste of your time.

100% agree with chiro on this one. I only took 3 CS classes and did a physics and math degree and that was plenty of enough CS for me. Anything beyond those 3 classes have been all self-study or experience on the job. A resume with any degree and as much experience as you say you have will land you a job there's no reason to go formally through those CS classes because, like chiro said also, they will just waste your time. On a side note, I would make sure that you have your hand in some projects while you're at school. With your background you can easily get into a computational physics or CS project at school and then throw that on your resume.

1. What is the difference between math and computer science?

Math and computer science are closely related fields, but they have distinct differences. Math is the study of numbers, quantities, and shapes, while computer science is the study of algorithms, data structures, and computational systems. Math is more abstract and theoretical, while computer science is more focused on practical applications.

2. Do I need to be good at math to study computer science?

While a strong foundation in math can be helpful in computer science, it is not a requirement. Many computer science concepts can be learned and applied without an extensive math background. However, some areas of computer science, such as data analysis and machine learning, do require a solid understanding of math.

3. What kind of careers can I pursue with a degree in math or computer science?

A degree in math or computer science can lead to a variety of careers in fields such as engineering, finance, data analysis, software development, and research. Specific job titles may include computer programmer, data scientist, mathematician, financial analyst, or software engineer.

4. Is computer science considered a STEM field?

Yes, computer science is considered a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) field. It involves the use of scientific and mathematical principles to design and develop computer programs and systems. This field is rapidly growing and offers many opportunities for innovation and problem-solving.

5. How can I prepare for a degree in math or computer science?

To prepare for a degree in math or computer science, it is important to have a strong foundation in math, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Taking courses in computer science, programming, and statistics can also be beneficial. It is also helpful to gain hands-on experience through internships, research projects, or personal projects in these fields.