1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Project

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    Hi today I will be constructing a ratio thing for math. Our teacher asked us to survey as many people as we can. I am going to ask a simple math question and if you can answer it with 100% confidence. This is just a little survey I am not trying to trick you in doing my homework, I already know the answer. I just need you guys to help me out with this.

Q. What is the conjugate of 2-5i?

Thanks

:)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

5+2i. I think you might want to post this somewhere else to get much interesting for your survey numbers. I'm already lying through my teeth to give you something to chew on. I can answer it with complete confidence. You didn't ask if I would be telling the truth.

4. Oct 6, 2008 #3
    Um where might else may I post?

5. Oct 6, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good question. I'm not sure. What is the point of this exercise? To determine if people on physicsforums know what a complex conjugate is? You'll probably find almost everyone who is sure what the answer is will be right. Though I can think of some exceptions. If you just want to gather some stats, you might ask more of an opinion question, or at least one that isn't so cut and dried.

6. Oct 7, 2008 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I for one would be an exception. I thought maybe it was 2+5i.
    For a more legitimate survey, you would need to ask a variety of people from various educated backgrounds. Most helpers/veterans here on PF that are likely to read this topic are highly educated.

7. Oct 7, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why everyone knows that the complex conjugate of 2- 5i is [itex]\sqrt{2^2+ 5^2}= \sqrt{29}[/itex]!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?