Help Solve a Math Problem: Find the Conjugate of 2-5i

• Thread starter Ersatz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conjugate
In summary, a student is conducting a survey for their math class and is asking people to answer a simple math question with 100% confidence. The question is "What is the conjugate of 2-5i?" The student is not trying to trick anyone and already knows the answer. They are seeking help from others to gather data. Some people suggest posting the survey in a more appropriate place and asking a more open-ended question for a more legitimate survey. One person suggests that most people on the physics forum are highly educated and would likely know the answer to the question.
Ersatz
Hi today I will be constructing a ratio thing for math. Our teacher asked us to survey as many people as we can. I am going to ask a simple math question and if you can answer it with 100% confidence. This is just a little survey I am not trying to trick you in doing my homework, I already know the answer. I just need you guys to help me out with this.

Q. What is the conjugate of 2-5i?

Thanks

:)

Physics news on Phys.org
5+2i. I think you might want to post this somewhere else to get much interesting for your survey numbers. I'm already lying through my teeth to give you something to chew on. I can answer it with complete confidence. You didn't ask if I would be telling the truth.

Um where might else may I post?

Good question. I'm not sure. What is the point of this exercise? To determine if people on physicsforums know what a complex conjugate is? You'll probably find almost everyone who is sure what the answer is will be right. Though I can think of some exceptions. If you just want to gather some stats, you might ask more of an opinion question, or at least one that isn't so cut and dried.

I for one would be an exception. I thought maybe it was 2+5i.
For a more legitimate survey, you would need to ask a variety of people from various educated backgrounds. Most helpers/veterans here on PF that are likely to read this topic are highly educated.

Why everyone knows that the complex conjugate of 2- 5i is [itex]\sqrt{2^2+ 5^2}= \sqrt{29}[/itex]!

1. What is a conjugate in math?

A conjugate in math is a pair of complex numbers with the same real part and opposite imaginary parts. In other words, the conjugate of a complex number a + bi is a - bi.

2. How do I find the conjugate of a complex number?

To find the conjugate of a complex number, simply change the sign of the imaginary part. For example, the conjugate of 2 + 3i is 2 - 3i.

3. Why is finding the conjugate important in math?

Finding the conjugate can help simplify complex numbers and make calculations easier. It is also useful in finding roots of complex numbers and in solving equations involving complex numbers.

4. How do I use the conjugate to simplify expressions?

To simplify expressions involving complex numbers, multiply the expression by the conjugate of the denominator. This will eliminate the imaginary parts and result in a real number.

5. Can the conjugate be used for any complex number?

Yes, the conjugate can be used for any complex number, including numbers with non-zero real and imaginary parts. It is a useful concept in complex analysis and is frequently used in solving various mathematical problems.