1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Research Project Ideas Please

1. Mar 26, 2016 #1
    Help. I am having a problem choosing a topic for my math research project. Anybody have any ideas they'd like to share ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2016 #2
    Can you provide some more details?

Such as the level of math you are currently at (high school level, university level etc.).

How extensive a research project?

Do you need to find a research gap or just provide further/additional ideas into pre-existing concepts?

4. Mar 28, 2016 #3
    Thank you for the response. I am currently doing an advanced level of Mathematics at High School. Possibly the name , "research" project is a bit misleading , It is a project in which I must apply some mathematical concept to a real life situation. Take for instance , a swimming pool , one could use calculus to determine the rate at which it is filled based on other related rates, but something a bit more elaborate than that, something more useful.

5. Mar 28, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You really need to learn to give sufficient details. The more you can say about you and your project, the better.

For example, I still I have no idea what mathematics you know and what you don't. An "advanced level of mathematics" is pretty meaningless. When I was in high school, we studied projective geometry, is that something you know? Integration? Multiple integration? Proofs? Matrices? Etc.

Does the project require you to learn some new theory of mathematics? Would you enjoy a project that requires this?

You're really not going to get any answer from us if you're not going to give a very comprehensive idea about you, your mathematical training, your mathematical preferences and the project.

6. Mar 28, 2016 #5
    Well according to my pure mathematics syllabus , thus far I know all of the following :
    Basic Algebra and Functions
    Trigonometry and Plane Geometry
    Calculus I and II
    Sequences, Series and Approximations
    Counting, Matrices and Complex Numbers
    I should know all of this , but no means a reflection of all I know.
    To give an idea of the scope of the project , I once did and Optimization Calculation to optimise the dimensions of a cake tin so less material could be used, but to be honest , I doubt this is very practical, so I wanted something more so , if even still optimisation, somewhere where it would actually make a "practical" difference.

7. Mar 28, 2016 #6
    Ok, now we have an idea of what sort of math you are comfortable with. But still lacking some assessment criteria in my opinion.

Have you been given an assessment sheet of some sort? Or have the criteria been discussed verbally, and it's up to you to choose how you want to tackle the problem?

8. Mar 28, 2016 #7
    upload_2016-3-28_22-1-9.png

Attached Files:

9. Mar 28, 2016 #8
    upload_2016-3-28_22-3-18.png

10. Mar 28, 2016 #9
    upload_2016-3-28_22-4-48.png Mark Scheme upload_2016-3-28_22-6-14.png upload_2016-3-28_22-6-54.png

11. Mar 28, 2016 #10
    Outside of the above sir , it is up to me how I want to tackle the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted