1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math with conditions

1. Dec 13, 2013 #1
    Given
    [tex]x = \left\{\begin{matrix} y \;\;\; case\;A\\ z \;\;\; case\;B\\ \end{matrix}\right.[/tex]
    So, operate x means to operate the 2 cases of right side? For example:
    [tex]\int x\;dx = \left\{\begin{matrix} \int y\;dx \;\;\; case\;A\\ \int z\;dx \;\;\; case\;B\\ \end{matrix}\right.[/tex]
    Correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2013 #2
  4. Dec 13, 2013 #3
    I don't known that it's operable. It's cool, will be very important to me in engineering!

5. Dec 13, 2013 #4
    Could you give a concrete example?

6. Dec 13, 2013 #5
    Are you intending for the ##x## in your ##\mathrm{d}x## to be different?

7. Dec 13, 2013 #6
    x, y and z are only a representative symbol...

8. Dec 13, 2013 #7
    The problem is that you're using x in two different places, and it's not clear whether or not you intend them to mean the same thing.

9. Dec 13, 2013 #8

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]x = \left\{\begin{matrix} y \;\;\; case\;A\\ z \;\;\; case\;B\\ \end{matrix}\right.[/tex]

[tex]\int x\;dx = \left\{\begin{matrix} \int y\;dy \;\;\; case\;A\\ \int z\;dz\;\;\; case\;B\\ \end{matrix}\right.[/tex]

Is this what you mean?

10. Dec 14, 2013 #9
    I'm trying find... I think that it's math isn't correct, because:
    [tex]H(x) = \left\{\begin{matrix} 0\;\;\; x<0\\ 1\;\;\; x=0\\ 1\;\;\; x>0\\ \end{matrix}\right.[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x}H(x) = \left\{\begin{matrix} \frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x}0\;\;\; x<0\\ \frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x}1\;\;\; x=0\\ \frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x}1\;\;\; x>0\\ \end{matrix}\right. = \left\{\begin{matrix} 0\;\;\; x<0\\ 0\;\;\; x=0\\ 0\;\;\; x>0\\ \end{matrix}\right.[/tex]

is wrong, 'cause contradicts the identity d/dx H(x) = δ(x). So, this "technic" above is not useful, although it seems make sense, theoretically... In other words, I'm trying know how do to integrate and derivative, graphically and algebraically, a function with steps and impulses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook