Mathemathical Methods to Solve a Physics Problem

• Thread starter Hells_Kitchen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Since v=\theta is a constant and u=\ln{r} we can make the following substitutionu=\frac{\ln{r}+i\theta}{\ln{x+iy}}and solve for vv=\theta
Hells_Kitchen

Homework Statement

An infinite hollow conducting cylinder of unit radius is cut into four equal parts by planes [tex]x=0, y=0[/tex]. The segmments in the first and third quadrant are maintained at potentials [tex]+V_{0}[/tex] and [tex]-V_{0}[/tex] respectively, and the segments in the second and fourth quadrant are maintained at zero potential. Find [tex]V(x,y)[/tex] inside the cylinder.

Homework Equations

This type of problem we have done with using conformal map transformations.
In the [tex]z-plane[/tex] with [tex] z=x+iy[/tex], in polar coordinates we have:

[tex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]
[tex]
\theta=\arctan{y/x}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to solve I tried conformal map transformation:
[tex]w=u+iv[/tex] with [tex]w=\ln{z}=\ln{x+iy}=\ln{r}+i\theta[/tex]
In doing so then,
[tex]u=\ln{r}[/tex] and [tex]v=\theta[/tex]
Using laplace equation
[tex]\frac{\partial^{2}V(x,y)}{\partial (x^2)} + \frac{\partial^{2}V(x,y)}{\partial (y^2)} =0[/tex]

Similiarly Laplace equation holds true even in the [tex]w-plane[/tex]. So that,
[tex]\frac{\partial^{2}V(x,y)}{\partial (u^2)} + \frac{\partial^{2}V(x,y)}{\partial (v^2)} =0[/tex]

Since [tex]v=\theta[/tex] is a constant then for
[tex]0\leq\theta\leq\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

[tex]V(x,y)=\frac{V_{0}}{\frac{\pi}{2}}*v=\frac{2V_{0}}{\pi}*v[/tex]

So that converting back in the [tex]z-plane[/tex] we get:

[tex]V(x,y)=\frac{2V_{0}}{\pi}*\theta=\frac{2V_{0}}{\pi}*\arctan{y/x}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-\pi}{2}\leq\theta\leq\frac{-3\pi}{2}[/tex]

[tex]V(x,y)=\frac{-V_{0}}{\frac{-\pi}{2}}*v=\frac{-2V_{0}}{-\pi}*v[/tex]

[tex]V(x,y)=\frac{-2V_{0}}{-\pi}*\theta=\frac{2V_{0}}{\pi}*\arctan{y/x}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone please comment or suggest me if this is a correct solution?

I don't have time to look at the problem in depth, but I would think that you could write the potential in terms of Bessel functions and solve for the constants using the boundary conditions. I don't know if that's right, but just a suggestion.

cazlab,
thanks for you suggestion but I think I HAVE TO solve it with conformal map transformations.

Can someone else please suggest a solution or a comment on this exisiting solution?

Can someone please suggest how to solve this problem. The above solution is not correct because apparently it assumes that the potential along the x=0 and y=0 planes is constant but it is not. It is only constant at the boundries around the circle as described above.

Here is the hint that we were given:
Find the solution of the following simpler problems: the cylinder is cut into
two equal parts by the plane y = 0, with the upper half maintained at potential +V0/2
and the lower half maintained at potential −V0/2. Use the superposition
principle to solve the original problem.

Other hint*: In order to solve the problem of Hint 1, use the following conformal transformation

[tex]w=\frac{i(1-z)}{1+z}[/tex] where [tex]z=x+iy[/tex]

that maps the interior of the cylinder’s crossection onto the upper half of the w-plane.

Doing this transformation i found that

[tex]w=u+iv=\frac{y^2+y}{(x+1)^2+y^2}+i\frac{x^2-y^2+1}{(x+1)^2+y^2}[/tex]

what we know is that Laplace's equation still holds for both z-plane and w-plane

Last edited:
[tex]\frac{\partial^{2}V(x,y)}{\partial (x^2)} + \frac{\partial^{2}V(x,y)}{\partial (y^2)} =0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial^{2}V(u,v)}{\partial (u^2)} + \frac{\partial^{2}V(u,v)}{\partial (v^2)} =0[/tex]

1. What are mathematical methods used to solve physics problems?

The most commonly used mathematical methods to solve physics problems include calculus, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and differential equations. These techniques are used to analyze and model physical phenomena and make predictions about their behavior.

2. How do mathematical methods help in solving physics problems?

Mathematical methods provide a systematic approach to solving physics problems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. They also allow for precise calculations and provide a framework for understanding complex relationships between physical quantities.

3. Can mathematical methods be applied to all types of physics problems?

While mathematical methods are essential in solving many physics problems, they may not be applicable to all types of problems. Some problems may require more advanced mathematical techniques, while others may require a more conceptual approach.

4. How do you choose the appropriate mathematical method for a physics problem?

The choice of mathematical method depends on the specific problem at hand and the physical concepts involved. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and identify the relevant equations and relationships before selecting an appropriate mathematical approach.

5. Are there any limitations to using mathematical methods in solving physics problems?

While mathematical methods are powerful tools for solving physics problems, they have their limitations. In some cases, the mathematical model may not accurately represent the real-world situation, leading to incorrect predictions. It is important to always consider the assumptions and limitations of the mathematical methods being used.