Mathematica Help VectorPlot ODE - Need help

In summary, producing a graphical display of the solutions for the ODE y''+8y'-9y=22e^(2t) would require specific initial conditions and can be achieved through numerical methods or symbolic solution and plotting. The resulting display may vary depending on the chosen initial conditions and the accuracy of the solution should be checked.
pat666

Homework Statement

Produce a graphical display of the solutions for the ode:
[tex]y''+8y'-9y=22e^(2t) [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

VectorPlot[{1, y'' + 8 y' - 9 y}, {x, -3, 3}, {y, -3, 3}] Doesn't seem to work, because it just gives me a graph of horizontal line. I know that that is not a graphical display of the solution, I will overlay ContourPlots of that once I figure out what's going on.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for sharing your attempt at a solution to this problem. The equation given is a second-order ordinary differential equation (ODE), which means it requires two initial conditions to find a unique solution. Therefore, a graphical display of the solution would require a specific set of initial conditions.

One possible approach to finding a graphical display of the solution would be to use a numerical method such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta method to approximate the solution for various sets of initial conditions. This would result in a series of points that could be plotted on a graph, showing the behavior of the solution over time.

Another approach would be to use a computer algebra system or a programming language to solve the ODE symbolically for a range of initial conditions and plot the resulting solutions on a graph. This would provide a more precise and comprehensive graphical display of the solutions.

In any case, it is important to note that the graphical display of the solution will depend on the values chosen for the initial conditions, and may look different for different sets of initial conditions. It is also important to check the accuracy of the solution obtained, as numerical methods may introduce some error.

I hope this helps in your efforts to produce a graphical display of the solutions for this ODE. Good luck!

What is Mathematica Help VectorPlot ODE?

Mathematica Help VectorPlot ODE is a tool within the Mathematica software that allows users to visualize solutions to ordinary differential equations (ODEs) using vector plots.

How do I access Mathematica Help VectorPlot ODE?

To access Mathematica Help VectorPlot ODE, open the Mathematica software and go to the "Help" menu. Then, select "Documentation Center" and search for "VectorPlot ODE" in the search bar. Alternatively, you can use the shortcut "Shift+Cmd+H" on Mac or "Shift+Ctrl+H" on Windows.

Can Mathematica Help VectorPlot ODE solve ODEs for me?

No, Mathematica Help VectorPlot ODE is a tool for visualizing solutions to ODEs, not for solving them. You will need to input the ODE and its initial conditions yourself in order to use the tool.

What are the required inputs for Mathematica Help VectorPlot ODE?

The required inputs for Mathematica Help VectorPlot ODE are the ODE and its initial conditions. The ODE must be in the form of a first-order system of ODEs, and the initial conditions must be specified for each dependent variable in the system.

Are there any limitations to using Mathematica Help VectorPlot ODE?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Mathematica Help VectorPlot ODE. It can only handle first-order systems of ODEs, and the solutions must be numerical. Additionally, the tool may not be able to handle complex or highly non-linear ODEs.