Mathematica - Optimization Over an Elipse

In summary, the person is seeking assistance with using Mathematica for a task involving Lagrange Multipliers. They are new to the software and programming language and are unsure of how to apply constraints and tackle the problem. They have provided instructions and have been advised not to use the maximize and minimize commands. They have also recommended a book on Lagrange Multipliers for reference. They are open to sharing the problem via Dropbox and would like help understanding the steps involved so that they can translate it into Mathematica code.
billyd690
Hello, I need some assistance with Mathematica.

I'm very new to the software, and am not very familiar with the programming language. I guess I'm a little bit lost as to where to go after defining my function. I'm not sure how to apply constraints, or really how to jump in and tackle this.

I've attached a file with the instructions, and we've been directed to NOT use the maximize and minimize commands within Mathematica.

If anyone can nudge me in the right direction, or give me insight into how to actually code this guy it would be very appreciated as I've not had much experience at all with the software and we've only ever done introductory functions and curves with the software.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Ellipse.pdf
    26.7 KB · Views: 260
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at your test problem, Lagrange Multipliers doesn't look like it will be a difficult task for you to show by hand.

Show how you would do that step by step.

If you can show that you understand what you are supposed to understand and do then someone can probably help you translate that into a handful of lines of Mathematica.

1. What is Mathematica?

Mathematica is a powerful computational software program used for mathematical and scientific calculations, data analysis, and visualization. It is widely used by scientists, engineers, and researchers in various fields.

2. How does Mathematica perform optimization over an ellipse?

Mathematica has built-in functions and algorithms specifically designed for optimization problems, including those over an ellipse. It uses various methods such as gradient descent, genetic algorithms, and interior point methods to find the optimal solution within the given constraints.

3. Can Mathematica handle complex optimization problems over an ellipse?

Yes, Mathematica has the capability to handle complex optimization problems over an ellipse. It can handle both linear and nonlinear constraints and can also handle multiple variables and objectives.

4. Is Mathematica user-friendly for optimization over an ellipse?

While Mathematica has a steep learning curve, it offers a user-friendly interface with intuitive syntax and built-in functions that make it easier to perform optimization over an ellipse. It also offers extensive documentation and online resources for assistance.

5. What are the benefits of using Mathematica for optimization over an ellipse?

Mathematica offers a comprehensive and efficient approach to optimization over an ellipse, with its vast library of built-in functions and algorithms. It also allows for easy visualization and data analysis, making it a valuable tool for researchers and scientists in various fields.