Solving Integration Problem in Mathematica 6 for Beginners

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter shehry1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, the conversation is about a beginner to Mathematica who is struggling with an integration problem. They notice that integrating Sin[k] gives the correct answer, but integrating a more complex expression does not. They also mention seeing solutions on the internet that use "using Mathematica..." and suggest correcting the expression using the correct command for e^x.
shehry1
A beginner to Mathematica's question:

I try to make the following integration in mathematica 6 and I get back the same expression with the integration symbol next to it. Why?
Integrate[exp[-k*z]*BesselJ[0, k*a]* BesselJ[1, k*a], {k, 0, Infinity}]

Integrate[Sin[k], {k, 0, 1}] however gives the correct answer.

Not that it matters, the equation comes in one of Jackson's problems and I have seen solutions on the net that seem to make a jump to the solution saying 'using Mathematica...'

Physics news on Phys.org
shehry1 said:
A beginner to Mathematica's question:

I try to make the following integration in mathematica 6 and I get back the same expression with the integration symbol next to it. Why?
Integrate[exp[-k*z]*BesselJ[0, k*a]* BesselJ[1, k*a], {k, 0, Infinity}]

Integrate[Sin[k], {k, 0, 1}] however gives the correct answer.

Not that it matters, the equation comes in one of Jackson's problems and I have seen solutions on the net that seem to make a jump to the solution saying 'using Mathematica...'

Try correcting the expression. In particular, the Mathematica command for [itex]e^x[/itex] is

Code:
Exp[x]

and not

Code:
exp[x]

eureka

1. How do I start solving integration problems in Mathematica 6?

To start solving integration problems in Mathematica 6, you can use the built-in function "Integrate" followed by the function or expression you want to integrate. For example, to integrate the function x^2, you would type "Integrate[x^2, x]" in the input cell and press Enter.

2. Can Mathematica 6 solve all types of integration problems?

No, Mathematica 6 may not be able to solve all types of integration problems. It works best with algebraic and some transcendental functions, but it may struggle with more complex functions or those that involve special functions.

3. How do I specify the limits of integration in Mathematica 6?

To specify the limits of integration, you can add the limits as arguments to the Integrate function. For example, to integrate the function x^2 from 0 to 5, you would type "Integrate[x^2, {x, 0, 5}]" in the input cell.

4. Can I check my integration results in Mathematica 6?

Yes, you can use the "Plot" function in Mathematica 6 to plot the integrated function and compare it to the original function. This can help you verify if your integration result is correct.

5. Are there any resources available for learning how to solve integration problems in Mathematica 6?

Yes, there are many resources available online for learning how to solve integration problems in Mathematica 6. You can refer to the official Mathematica documentation, tutorial videos, and online forums for help and guidance.