1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical game

1. Jan 12, 2016 #1
    I have a small mathematical game. A random number with uniform distribution between 1 and 10 is drawn, the player must guess any number except the the one drawn.The method I have found is by selecting the same number for every draw, the player will win 9 times out of 10. My question is , is there a better method of playing,lets say the player wins 29 times out of 30, that is a ratio of 9.66 out of 10?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2016 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Can you come up with a way of playing that is worse? Can you lose this game more than one time out of ten on average even if you try?

The problem could be made somewhat more interesting if the number were not randomly drawn but was instead selected by a fiendishly clever opponent who is trying to out-guess you. A strategy of selecting the same number every time would be defeated soundly by such an opponent. Is there a strategy that you could employ in order to win 90% of the time on average against any such opponent?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook