Math Game: Improve Ratio 9.66/10 by Guessing Better

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical game where a random number is drawn and the player must guess a different number. The speaker shares a strategy of selecting the same number every time to win 9 out of 10 games. They then ask if there is a better or worse method of playing, and if it is possible to lose more than 1 out of 10 games on average. They also mention the possibility of playing against a clever opponent and ask if there is a strategy to win 90% of the time.
dot_binary
I have a small mathematical game. A random number with uniform distribution between 1 and 10 is drawn, the player must guess any number except the the one drawn.The method I have found is by selecting the same number for every draw, the player will win 9 times out of 10. My question is , is there a better method of playing,lets say the player wins 29 times out of 30, that is a ratio of 9.66 out of 10?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can you come up with a way of playing that is worse? Can you lose this game more than one time out of ten on average even if you try?

The problem could be made somewhat more interesting if the number were not randomly drawn but was instead selected by a fiendishly clever opponent who is trying to out-guess you. A strategy of selecting the same number every time would be defeated soundly by such an opponent. Is there a strategy that you could employ in order to win 90% of the time on average against any such opponent?

Likes billy_joule and mfb

1. What is the purpose of the "Math Game: Improve Ratio 9.66/10 by Guessing Better"?

The purpose of this math game is to improve your ability to guess ratios accurately and therefore improve your overall ratio accuracy.

2. How does the game work?

The game presents you with a series of ratio questions and gives you the opportunity to guess the correct answer. After each guess, the game provides feedback and allows you to keep guessing until you get the correct answer. The more you play, the better you will become at guessing ratios accurately.

3. Can this game actually improve my ratio accuracy?

Yes, this game is designed to help you improve your ratio accuracy by giving you practice and feedback. The more you play, the more you will improve your ratio guessing skills.

4. Is this game suitable for all levels of math proficiency?

Yes, this game is suitable for all levels of math proficiency. It is designed to help players of all levels improve their ratio guessing skills.

5. Is there a time limit for the game?

No, there is no time limit for this game. You can take as much time as you need to make your guess and improve your ratio accuracy.