Mathematical Induction 4+11+14+21+....+(5n+(-1)^n

In summary, the speaker is seeking assistance in proving a given statement by induction. They have checked the statement for n=1 and found it to be valid, but are struggling with the algebraic proof for k+1. They then present their induction hypothesis and show the steps they would take in the induction step. After incorporating a new term, they are able to derive the statement for n+1 from the statement for n, thus completing the proof by induction.
Yankel
Dear all

I am trying to prove by induction the following:

View attachment 8712

I checked it for n=1, it is valid. Then I assume it is correct for some k, and wish to prove it for k+1, got stuck with the algebra. Can you kindly assist ?

Thank you.

Attachments

• induction.PNG
    induction.PNG
    1.5 KB · Views: 66
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would state the induction hypothesis \(P_n\):

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}\left(5k+(-1)^k\right)=\frac{1}{2}\left(5n(n+1)+(-1)^n-1\right)\)

As the induction step, I would add \(\displaystyle 5(n+1)+(-1)^{n+1}\) to both sides:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}\left(5k+(-1)^k\right)+5(n+1)+(-1)^{n+1}=\frac{1}{2}\left(5n(n+1)+(-1)^n-1\right)+5(n+1)+(-1)^{n+1}\)

Incorporate the new term:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n+1}\left(5k+(-1)^k\right)=\frac{1}{2}\left(5n(n+1)+(-1)^n-1+2\cdot5(n+1)+2\cdot(-1)^{n+1}\right)\)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n+1}\left(5k+(-1)^k\right)=\frac{1}{2}\left(5(n+1)(n+2)+(-1)^n(1+2(-1))-1\right)\)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n+1}\left(5k+(-1)^k\right)=\frac{1}{2}\left(5(n+1)((n+1)+1)+(-1)^{n+1}-1\right)\)

We have derived \(P_{n+1}\) from \(P_n\) thereby completing the proof by induction.

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to show that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It involves two steps: the base case, where we show that the statement is true for the first natural number, and the induction step, where we assume that the statement is true for a general natural number and use that to prove that it is true for the next natural number.

2. How do you use mathematical induction to prove a statement?

To use mathematical induction to prove a statement, we first show that the statement is true for the first natural number (usually 1). Then, we assume that the statement is true for a general natural number n and use that to prove that it is also true for the next natural number (n+1). This establishes that the statement is true for all natural numbers.

3. What is the formula for the sum 4+11+14+21+....+(5n+(-1)^n)?

The formula for this sum is n^2+5n-1, where n is the number of terms in the sum.

4. Can mathematical induction be used to prove any statement?

No, mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements that involve natural numbers. It cannot be used for statements involving real or complex numbers, for example.

5. How do you know when to use mathematical induction to prove a statement?

Mathematical induction is typically used to prove statements that involve natural numbers and have a recursive structure. This means that the statement can be expressed in terms of itself, such as in the case of 4+11+14+21+....+(5n+(-1)^n). If a statement follows this pattern, then mathematical induction is a good proof technique to use.