Proof of 4n-3 = n(2n-1) via Mathematical Induction

In summary, the conversation is about a mathematical induction proof for the equation 4n-3 = n(2n-1). The original poster is confused and seeking help. The conversation includes discussions of the proposition being false, the correct form of the equation, and how to approach the proof using a given formula.
lemurs
ok I am really confused now topic says it all..

I am given 4n-3 = n(2n-1)

using mathemadical induction proof that is true.

P(1) both equal 1

P(k) 4k-3 = k(2k-1)
= k^2 - k

P(k+1) 4(k+1)-3 =(k+1)(2(k+1)-1)

if i simplify it all i get that
4k +1=2k^2 +3k +1

but stick at that point.

any help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
The proposition 4n-3 = n(2n-1) for all natural numbers is false; no wonder you can't prove it. Take n=5 for exemple. It would then say that 17=45

hmm...did u miss out the summation sign on the left side?

kay here is the exact question from the text.

1+5+9+...+(4n-3)=n(2n-1)

so how do i do this then...

1+5+9+...+(4n-3)=n(2n-1)

You do realize that it's not the same as what you said in the first post?

Assuming it's true for some k, add 4(k+1)-3 to the left and try to simplify it so that you get the corresponding term for k+1 on the right.

lemurs said:
kay here is the exact question from the text.

1+5+9+...+(4n-3)=n(2n-1)

so how do i do this then...

(4n-3) is not summation (4n-3) :rofl: sub n=k+1 on the right and proof that its equal to k(2k-1) + (k+1)th term. i guess it should be alrite from here :biggrin:

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to prove that a statement holds for all natural numbers. It involves proving a base case and then assuming that the statement holds for a certain value, and using that assumption to prove that it also holds for the next value.

2. How does mathematical induction apply to the equation 4n-3 = n(2n-1)?

In this case, mathematical induction is used to prove that the equation 4n-3 = n(2n-1) holds for all natural numbers. This means that if we can prove that the equation holds for a base case (usually n=1), and then show that if it holds for a certain value of n, it also holds for n+1, then we can conclude that it holds for all natural numbers.

3. What is the base case for this proof?

The base case for this proof would be when n=1. This means that we need to show that the equation holds when n=1, and then we can use that to prove that it holds for all other natural numbers.

4. How do you prove the inductive step for this equation?

To prove the inductive step for this equation, we need to assume that the equation holds for a certain value of n (let's say n=k). Then, we need to show that if the equation holds for n=k, it also holds for n=k+1. This can be done by substituting k+1 in for n in the equation and showing that it still holds true.

5. Why is mathematical induction a valid proof technique?

Mathematical induction is a valid proof technique because it follows a logical and systematic approach. By proving the base case and the inductive step, we can conclude that the statement holds for all natural numbers. It is also a commonly accepted and used method in mathematics, making it a reliable and valid proof technique.