Mathematical map - diagram illustrating what you need to know to learn

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of a mathematical map or learning tree that shows the sequence in which one must learn particular topics. The speaker mentions encountering topics and having to work backwards and forwards through articles to understand them, and suggests that it would be helpful to start with familiar topics and move forward. However, the other speaker points out that there is not one absolute roadmap for learning mathematics and that the order in which topics are learned may vary for different individuals.
ThereIam
I was curious if anyone is aware of anything resembling a mathematical map, or learning tree. By this I mean a diagram that illustrates the sequence in which one must learn particular topics. I ask because I find myself encountering topics (today it was finite element method) and clicking the Wikipedia article, and finding that that article uses explanations dependent understanding other topics. Thus I work backwards through a series of articles until I find familiar subjects, and then work forward again. It would be nice to start with the stuff I know, and then move forward.

Maybe this is a ridiculous idea.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ThereIam said:
I was curious if anyone is aware of anything resembling a mathematical map, or learning tree. By this I mean a diagram that illustrates the sequence in which one must learn particular topics. I ask because I find myself encountering topics (today it was finite element method) and clicking the Wikipedia article, and finding that that article uses explanations dependent understanding other topics. Thus I work backwards through a series of articles until I find familiar subjects, and then work forward again. It would be nice to start with the stuff I know, and then move forward.

Imagine the most complicated subject ever created. Intricate, powerful, unbending. A language that can uniquely describe anything in the universe down to every detail. A very specific language that gives order to chaos and clarity to randomness.

Now add on to that a bunch of stuff that can't even apply to the real world. Things that seem to be almost nonsensical to our world, like the idea that every simply connected, closed 3-manifold is homeomorphic to the 3-sphere.

Now add even more. Stuff that we don't even comprehend ourselves yet. Unsolved problems, unproved theorems. Things that don't quite fit in the margins of books.

Poetically, that's mathematics.

If you can find a map like what you're looking for, there won't really be anywhere to start. It probably isn't small enough to singularly fit on a page. The best way is to just learn backwards. See it as a game. Have fun with it.

At least, that's my opinion.

ThereIam said:

Not a ridiculous idea; but just not an absolute idea.

Consider some mathematical education far, far less advanced than the Finite Element Methods that you mentioned. If you could gather 100 mathematically educated and experienced people and ask each of them to create a mathematical learning roadmap, you could expect at least 20 different such roadmaps... and maybe some of these people will sooner or later make changes to their roadmap designs. No single roadmap would fit every student the same. The order in which topics can be studied is not absolutely fixed, in that some topics can/will be learned out of sequence of the roadmap.

Consider: Sure, learn addition and subtractions of whole numbers before studying fractions; but learn long division before polynomial division? Maybe, maybe not. A student might very well understand polynomial division BEFORE he really understands how to perform regular long division. Learn fractions before high-school Algebra? Maybe, maybe not. For some students, high-school algebra will give the missing understanding for what to do with computations of rational expressions and therefore regular rational numbers such as typical elementery school fractions.

One can create a roadmap of what to learn in what order, but this one roadmap will fit everyone.

1. What is a mathematical map?

A mathematical map is a diagram or illustration that visually represents the concepts, principles, and relationships involved in a particular topic or area of mathematics. It provides a visual overview of what you need to know in order to understand and learn about a specific mathematical concept.

2. How is a mathematical map different from a traditional map?

A mathematical map is different from a traditional map in that it does not represent physical locations or geographical features, but rather mathematical concepts and relationships. It is a visual representation of abstract ideas and can be used as a guide for learning and understanding mathematics.

3. What are the benefits of using a mathematical map?

Using a mathematical map can help you to see the big picture and understand how different concepts and principles are connected. It can also serve as a guide for organizing your thoughts and understanding complex mathematical ideas.

4. How can I create my own mathematical map?

To create your own mathematical map, start by identifying the main concepts and principles related to the topic you want to map. Then, use arrows, symbols, and other visual elements to show the relationships and connections between them. You can also use different colors or shapes to represent different types of concepts or relationships.

5. Are there any resources for finding pre-made mathematical maps?

Yes, there are many resources available online for finding pre-made mathematical maps. These can include educational websites, textbooks, and online communities. You can also create or find mathematical maps on platforms such as MindMeister or Lucidchart.