Why is the term space commonly used in geometry but not in algebra?

In summary, there are different mathematical concepts that are referred to as "space", such as topological space and vector space. Wikipedia defines space as a set with added structure. However, when it comes to other mathematical structures like groups, fields, and rings, the term "space" is not commonly used. This may be because the term is typically associated with geometric concepts. However, the concept of a module can help tie these ideas together. Overall, it is better to use different terms for different mathematical concepts instead of overloading the term "space".
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
There are different things in mathematics that are called space: Topological space, vector space, etc. Wikipedia defines space as below:
Wikipedia said:
In mathematics, a space is a set with some added structure.
And in the page related to the word "structure", algebraic structures are listed too. So why people never use the word "space" when talking about groups, fields, rings, etc.?
It seems people tend to use this word for things that have a more geometrical nature. Or is there something else?
I'm asking this because rigorous mathematical texts don't do it too so there is a chance they've got a reason for it!
Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Not sure why but its always better to use different words for different things instead of overloading a word too much. When I think of space I think of the mathematical combination of multiple identical fields along with some sort of metric like Pythagorean theorem which I guess is the added structural component.

The notion of a module might complete your understanding and tie things together better:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Module_(mathematics)

Last edited:
I always think of "space" as a framework in which things exist. So "vector space" makes perfect sense and this follows the definition you gave exactly except that I'm not rigorous in what I'm calling "a set". I don't know if it would make sense or not to say a "group space" or a "ring space" since I don't know those areas of math.

1. What is the mathematical notion of space?

The mathematical notion of space refers to the concept of abstract, geometric, and quantitative space commonly used in mathematics. It is a way of understanding and describing the relationships between objects in a given space, rather than physical space itself.

2. How is mathematical space different from physical space?

Mathematical space is a theoretical concept used in mathematics to describe relationships between objects, while physical space has tangible properties and dimensions that can be observed and measured. Mathematical space is not bound by physical limitations such as size or shape, allowing for more abstract and complex concepts to be explored.

3. What are the main types of mathematical space?

The main types of mathematical space include Euclidean space, which follows the principles of geometry and is commonly used in everyday applications, and abstract spaces such as vector spaces, which are used to represent quantities and their relationships in a more complex manner.

4. How is the notion of space used in different branches of mathematics?

The concept of space is used in various branches of mathematics, such as geometry, algebra, and calculus. In geometry, the notion of space is used to describe the relationships between points, lines, and shapes. In algebra, it is used to represent equations and their solutions. In calculus, it is used to describe the behavior of functions in different dimensions.

5. What are the practical applications of the mathematical notion of space?

The mathematical notion of space has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It is used to model and solve real-world problems, such as designing structures, predicting the motion of objects, and creating algorithms for data analysis. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies, such as GPS navigation systems and computer graphics.