Mathematical Probability Question

In summary, the question is asking for the probability that there are exactly r people standing between two randomly chosen people in a circle of n people. This can be simplified by arbitrarily fixing one person, leading to the answer of 1/(n-1) for the probability.
Legendre
I spent quite a lot of time trying to figure out this question that I read in a book. Through trial and error, I got a rough idea of what the solution should be like but can't figure out how I would derive it mathematically. Can anyone give me some directions? :)

QUESTION:

n people stand in a circle, where n > 2. we pick two person, A and B, at random. what is the probability that there are exactly r people standing in between A and B, in the clockwise direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Legendre! :wink:

Can you think of a way of simplifying the question? :smile:

Given a choice of A, how many B's will satisfy the condition?

elibj123 said:
Given a choice of A, how many B's will satisfy the condition?

Yup! :biggrin:

(or, rather, what proportion of B's will satisfy the condition?)

So you can simplify the problem by arbitrarily fixing A, which makes the answer … ? :smile:

Moderator's note: thread moved to Homework forums.

tiny-tim said:
Yup! :biggrin:

(or, rather, what proportion of B's will satisfy the condition?)

So you can simplify the problem by arbitrarily fixing A, which makes the answer … ? :smile:

Thanks for not outright giving the answer! I find that I learn much more if I were to come out with an answer using hints.

Now let's see...

Fix A. Counting in the clockwise direction, only 1 B satisfies "exactly r people are standing between A and B".

0 <= r <= (n-2). So there are (n-1) possible r.

So the probability is 1/(n-1).

(just got up :zzz: …)
Legendre said:
So the probability is 1/(n-1).

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
(just got up :zzz: …)

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

haha thanks!

1. What is mathematical probability?

Mathematical probability is a branch of mathematics that deals with the likelihood of events occurring. It is often used to predict the chances of a particular outcome in a given situation.

2. How is mathematical probability calculated?

Mathematical probability is calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on calculations and predictions, while experimental probability is based on actual outcomes from experiments or real-life events.

4. Can mathematical probability be used to guarantee a certain outcome?

No, mathematical probability cannot guarantee a specific outcome. It can only provide a prediction based on mathematical calculations and assumptions.

5. How is mathematical probability used in real life?

Mathematical probability is used in various fields such as statistics, finance, and science to make predictions and informed decisions. It is also used in everyday situations, such as predicting the chances of winning a game or the likelihood of a certain event occurring.