Mathematics club: What do you do?

• Thread starter AlfredPyo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the conversation is about starting a mathematics club and how to make it fun and engaging. Suggestions are given to meet regularly and work on problems from competitions such as the American Maths Competitions and to also explore topics from books or play logic games. Additionally, the Trachtenberg system and the Processing IDE are mentioned as potential activities to incorporate into the club.
AlfredPyo
So for all of the people who are/used to be in mathematics club, what were your experiences?
How was your club organized? Because I am starting a mathematics club, and I want it to be fun.

So, what got you interested into math club?
What did you learn/do in math club?
How did you guys prepare for math tournaments?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, I would suggest that you just meet on a regular basis and work on problems from the American Maths Competitions (AMC, AIME, USAMO) and try to work together to improve your problem solving skills. Give out problems at the end of each meet up to work on in between and discuss solutions at the next one. Try and find simpler and more elegant solutions. I would also suggest gaining a reference group copy of 'The Art and Craft of Problem Solving' because I got it a while ago and it is brilliant in my opinion.

You could also start playing logic games like the wff n' proof games or rubik's cube...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_Games

Pick topics out of the Math 1001 book by Elwes or some similar book and explore them or have someone research and run a discussion on them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1554077192/?tag=pfamazon01-20

or explore speed math like the Trachtenberg system:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachtenberg_system

or use the Processing IDE to create some cool geometrical objects:

processing.org

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of the Mathematics club?

The purpose of the Mathematics club is to provide a space for students who are interested in mathematics to come together and explore the subject in a fun and engaging way. This can include participating in math competitions, discussing challenging problems, and learning about different areas of mathematics.

2. Who can join the Mathematics club?

Anyone who has an interest in mathematics is welcome to join the Mathematics club! Whether you are a math whiz or just curious about the subject, we encourage all students to become members and participate in our activities.

3. What kind of activities does the Mathematics club do?

The Mathematics club hosts a variety of activities, including math games, puzzles, and competitions. We also have guest speakers who come in to talk about different areas of mathematics and how it applies to the real world. Additionally, we may participate in local or national math competitions.

4. Do I need to be good at math to join the Mathematics club?

No, you do not need to be a math expert to join the Mathematics club. Our goal is to make math fun and accessible to all students, regardless of their skill level. We welcome anyone who has an interest in learning more about mathematics.

5. How can I get involved with the Mathematics club?

You can get involved with the Mathematics club by attending our meetings and participating in our activities. You can also reach out to our club leaders to see if there are any leadership opportunities available. We are always looking for new ideas and members to help us grow and improve!