Mathematics for dancing laser beam

In summary, this person created a figure-of-eight pattern with a lower frequency waveform and drove the music signal into the vertical deflection circuit.
sergiokapone
1663249504337.png

Is there a math that describes these shapes at least one frequency?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that these are strange attractors that are dealt with in chaos theory. The more regular shapes are closed paths in the vector fields of ordinary differential equations, basically also attractors.

sergiokapone said:
Is there a math that describes these shapes at least one frequency?
Back in undergrad, I made a 2-D laser deflection mirror that I could drive in the horizontal axis with a lower-frequency waveform (like 50Hz-100Hz), and I drove the music signal into the vertical deflection circuit. You could adjust the horizontal sinusoid to get the best Lissajous figures for each particular piece of (rock) music. Very fun...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lissajous_curve

Likes hutchphd
Well, if there were always Lissajous curves, then everything is fine. But sometimes closed curves are obtained, which are far from similar to such figures.

sergiokapone said:
Well, if there were always Lissajous curves, then everything is fine. But sometimes closed curves are obtained, which are far from similar to such figures.
Can you e-mail the person who created that figure and other similar figures? Perhaps they would share their setup details with you.

It looks as if there are just two cycles of X and Y, as I can see ends to the pattern. The existence of an enclosed area means the two waves are out of phase, having a quadrature component. It looks as if they are the same frequency, as we do not see a figure-of-eight in the pattern, but the wave shapes look non sinusoidal, maybe rectified sine wave.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd
berkeman said:
Back in undergrad, I made a 2-D laser deflection mirror that I could drive in the horizontal axis with a lower-frequency waveform (like 50Hz-100Hz), and I drove the music signal into the vertical deflection circuit. You could adjust the horizontal sinusoid to get the best Lissajous figures for each particular piece of (rock) music. Very fun...

BTW, this was one of the better musical pieces for the laser show in our dorm room, and this thread reminded me of it so I had to post it. It's also the song that I get in my head when I'm pushing the cadence of my mountain bike (MTB) to keep a high pedal cadence. :smile:

Set your Lissajous laser deflection at 60Hz horizontal and turn up the vertical and the audio!

1663288859087.png

Last edited:

1. What is "Mathematics for dancing laser beam"?

"Mathematics for dancing laser beam" is a branch of mathematics that studies the movement and choreography of laser beams in dance performances. It combines principles of geometry, trigonometry, and calculus to create visually stunning laser shows.

2. How is mathematics used in dancing laser beam performances?

Mathematics is used to calculate the angles, trajectories, and patterns of the laser beams in order to create synchronized movements and choreography. It also helps to ensure the safety and precision of the laser beams during the performance.

3. What are some real-world applications of "Mathematics for dancing laser beam"?

Aside from being used in dance performances, "Mathematics for dancing laser beam" has practical applications in fields such as entertainment technology, laser light shows, and event production. It can also be used in research and development for laser technology and optics.

4. What skills are needed to excel in "Mathematics for dancing laser beam"?

A strong understanding of geometry, trigonometry, and calculus is essential for mastering "Mathematics for dancing laser beam". Additionally, creativity, attention to detail, and an understanding of dance and performance can also be beneficial.

5. How can I learn more about "Mathematics for dancing laser beam"?

There are various resources available online, including books, articles, and videos, that can provide an introduction to "Mathematics for dancing laser beam". Additionally, attending workshops or taking courses in mathematics and dance can also help to deepen your understanding of this unique field.