Maths problem for a theoretical method of travelling time.

In summary, the conversation is discussing a theoretical method of time travel based on the variable nature of time in relation to gravity. The idea suggests that if gravity can be controlled, a spacecraft maintaining the same gravity as Earth could potentially experience time at the same rate, leading to the concept of the twin paradox. A link is provided to support this theory. The conversation also touches on the topic of traveling at high speeds to manipulate time, with an example provided. However, there is some debate and confusion about the exact calculations and parameters involved. Ultimately, the conversation revolves around the idea of using gravity and speed to manipulate time, with the hope of finding a mathematical explanation to support the theory.
Time Machine
I am trying to portray a method of time travel on another thread. I have no maths. It's NOT helping. I was wondering if anyone would care to venture into the project?

My idea is as such:
Based on the fact that time is variable to gravity. (See link)
I suggest that should gravity be controllable, (unlikely I know,) that based on Einstein's twin paradox:
If a spacecraft could maintain the same gravity as that on Earth during it's journey, that the twins would remain the same age.

Dr. Chou at NIST-F1 atomic clock, Colorado states:
For every foot above ground, some one ages by 90 billionths of a second per 79 years.
I see that there is the possibility of working this out into a graph (?) that would portray how much faster time happens per 100 000 ft.
Taking the craft on a journey one could then work out how much faster time is happening the further one is away.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-bad-news-if-you-own-a-penthouse-2088195.html

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's about speed, not distance. You can use this to (in some sense) travel into the future, but not into the past. Method: You get on a spaceship that travels near to the speed of light. You measure the passage of a small amount of time while the stationary frame measures a large amount of time.

For example, if you traveled at 99.5% of the speed of light on a journey that lasted 10 years, the stationary frame would experience 100 years in the same time. To shorten the journey to 1 year you would need to go at 99.995% of the speed of light.

CRGreathouse said:
It's about speed, not distance. You can use this to (in some sense) travel into the future, but not into the past. Method: You get on a spaceship that travels near to the speed of light. You measure the passage of a small amount of time while the stationary frame measures a large amount of time.

For example, if you traveled at 99.5% of the speed of light on a journey that lasted 10 years, the stationary frame would experience 100 years in the same time. To shorten the journey to 1 year you would need to go at 99.995% of the speed of light.

I understand that speed and distance are parameters in the calculation but first I need to establish an approximation of the increase that time experiences the further it gets from a gravity well.

I have included the link that I have been portraying this theoretical method of time travel in. I would try to post it over but my understanding of the page parameters is poor, as the other participants of the thread can attest to. I'm afraid they think me quite mad over there. I personally think it's an idea worth consideration but I fear that only a mathematical portrayal will make them understand.
The best I can explain is that my post is at the bottom of page 8 which for me can be found at the top and the bottom of the page in the page counter. I understand that posts have numbers, I just have not found them, yet.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=441627

Based on Dr Chou's figures, time is going 5.4 days, per "Earth" day faster, 1 light year distance from Earth, when not near another gravity well.
Is this correct?
Can any-one tell me exactly by how much, does speed slow time down?

Time Machine said:
Based on Dr Chou's figures, time is going 5.4 days, per "Earth" day faster, 1 light year distance from Earth, when not near another gravity well.
Is this correct?
Can any-one tell me exactly by how much, does speed slow time down?

Unfortunately, that 90 nanosecond/79 year is only valid near the surface of the earth. Gravity gets weaker if you get further away from the earth, and the maximum
effect is 90 ns/79 year * (radius of the earth) = 7 milliseconds a year, no matter how far you go away.

Related to Maths problem for a theoretical method of travelling time.

1. What is the theoretical method of travelling time in mathematics?

The theoretical method of travelling time in mathematics is a concept that aims to understand how time can be travelled or manipulated through mathematical models and equations. It involves using abstract mathematical concepts to explain the possibilities of time travel.

2. What are the key principles of the theoretical method of travelling time?

The key principles of the theoretical method of travelling time include the concept of time as a fourth dimension, the use of spacetime fabric to explain the curvature of time, and the application of mathematical equations, such as Einstein's theory of relativity, to explain the possibility of time travel.

3. How does the theoretical method of travelling time differ from other theories on time travel?

The theoretical method of travelling time differs from other theories on time travel in that it primarily focuses on using mathematical models and equations to understand the concept of time travel, rather than relying on science fiction or hypothetical scenarios. It also takes into consideration the laws of physics and the concept of spacetime in its explanations.

4. What are some potential applications of the theoretical method of travelling time?

The potential applications of the theoretical method of travelling time include furthering our understanding of the fabric of time and its relationship with space, as well as exploring the possibilities of time travel and its implications for the future. It could also have practical applications in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology.

5. What are some criticisms or challenges to the theoretical method of travelling time?

Some criticisms and challenges to the theoretical method of travelling time include the lack of empirical evidence to support its concepts, the complexities of using mathematics to explain a concept as abstract as time travel, and the potential for paradoxes and logical inconsistencies in its explanations. Additionally, the theoretical method of travelling time is still a highly debated and controversial topic in the scientific community.