Maths puzzle -- What is the missing digit?

• I
  • Thread starter engnrshyckh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
In summary: The only proble is that he didn't calculate enough of them. The will close on the Golden Ratio - a significant clue to how the sequence can be generated.In summary, in order to find the missing digit in the given sequence, the clues provided suggest using an exponential sequence. The ratios between consecutive elements should approach the Golden Ratio, and the sequence should be similar to the Fibonacci series. Calculating ratios and differences between successive numbers can help in identifying the pattern.
.Scott said:
The "absolute value" method I referred to was this:
## v_i = v_{i-2} - v_{i-1} +1 ##
can generate this sequence:
2, -3, 6, -8, 15, -22, ...

The absolute value of each element in that sequence gives you the sequence we were working with.
There are infinite methods to solve it so we can say that series is divergent?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
engnrshyckh said:
There are infinite methods to solve it so we can say that series is divergent?
The reason it is divergent is because the sum of the terms does not approach any particular finite value.
See Divergent Series (wiki)

The reason that there are infinite methods is because there are always infinite methods. Everyone knows there is more than one way to skin a cat. But Mathematicians know there are an infinite number of ways to do that.

What on Earth the pyramidal structure of the puzzle has to do with that sequence recursive relation?

zoki85 said:
What on Earth the pyramidal structure of the puzzle has to do with that sequence recursive relation?
Nothing. It's to throw off the scent.

.Scott said:
And now that a solution is finally revealed, @willem2 solved it with this:
## v_i = 2v_{i-2}+v_{i-3} ##
Nice. So the characteristic equation is a cubic. Which means that the result will [likely] be the sum of three exponentials. Which is how the ##-1^n## fits in.