What is the Correct Combination of A's and B's for 2x2 Matrix Multiplication?

• Thread starter morbello
  • Start date
In summary, the person is trying to solve a problem involving a matrix multiplication involving a 2x2 matrix and a 2x2 matrix. They are looking for the combination of a's and b's that will give them the answer to this question. They have attempted to solve it using a composite linear transformation, but are unsure if they have done it correctly. They are also having trouble inserting symbols into their post.
morbello
wow what a day.ive got an a,b,c,d matrix mulitiplyed by an a,b,c,d.matrix and i want to know what combination off a's and b's gives the answer to the 2*2 * 2*2 question.

ive read its a1 *a2 b1*b2 c1*c2 d1*d2 is this right as when I've done it i have got a sum that is wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry its a composit linear transformation I am looking for.

When you submit a question it should follow this format:

Homework Statement

What exactly is the problem you're trying to solve? Saying that you have "an a,b,c,d matrix mulitiplyed by an a,b,c,d.matrix and i want to know what combination off a's and b's gives the answer to the 2*2 * 2*2 question" is not a problem statement that anyone can do anything helpful with.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Show us what you have tried to do.

ok sorry I am not sure how to get the symbols on the screen will try again tommorow.

Try these. Click on either one to see the LaTeX script I used. You can copy and paste the script into your post.

[tex]\left[
\begin{array}{c c}
a_1 & b_1 \\
c_1 & d_1
\end{array}\right ][/tex]

Here's another.

[tex]\left[
\begin{array}{c c}
a_2 & b_2 \\
c_2 & d_2
\end{array}\right ][/tex]

1. What is matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is a mathematical operation that takes two matrices as inputs and produces a new matrix as an output. It involves multiplying corresponding elements of rows and columns to obtain the elements of the new matrix.

2. What are the rules for matrix multiplication?

The rules for matrix multiplication are as follows:

• The number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix.
  • The resulting matrix will have the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix.
  • The elements of the resulting matrix are calculated by multiplying corresponding elements of rows and columns in the two matrices and adding them together.
  • The order of multiplication matters, meaning A*B is not necessarily equal to B*A.

3. How do you multiply a matrix by a scalar?

To multiply a matrix by a scalar (a single number), you simply multiply each element in the matrix by that number. For example, if we have a matrix A and want to multiply it by the scalar 2, the resulting matrix would be 2*A.

4. Can you multiply a matrix by a vector?

Yes, you can multiply a matrix by a vector. The vector should have a number of elements equal to the number of columns in the matrix. The resulting vector will have the same number of elements as the number of rows in the matrix.

5. What is the identity matrix and how does it relate to matrix multiplication?

The identity matrix is a special type of matrix that, when multiplied by any other matrix, results in the same matrix. It is an n x n matrix with 1s along the main diagonal and 0s in all other positions. For example, if we have a 3 x 3 identity matrix I and multiply it by a matrix A, the result will be A. The identity matrix serves as the multiplicative identity in matrix multiplication, similar to how the number 1 serves as the multiplicative identity in regular multiplication.