Creating Conditional Callback Function in Matlab GUI

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter calt3ch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gui Matlab
In summary, the conversation suggests using separate functions for each task in the button handler function instead of repeating the same code. This is called procedural programming and is a common solution to the issue presented.
calt3ch
So I am a bit unfamiliar with Callback functions etc. But here is what I want:

when someone clicks on a button, something happens. Well I want it so that when they click on another button and a certain condition isn't met, then the same function carried out by clicking a completely different button is carried out. I mean I guess I could just copy and paste the code so that it appears twice, but I feel like there's an easier way that involves just calling the functionnamehere_Callback function. Or am i crazy?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a sign that you're not coding with good style. "Good" defined here as easy to follow and maintain.

Break the button handler function up into separate functions for each thing it does, and call that function from both button handler function.
Example:

Old:
Code:
button1()
{
    // do stuff
}

button2()
{
    // do same stuff
}

New:
Code:
button1()
{
    do_stuff()
}

button2()
{
    do_suff()
}

do_stuff()
{
    // do stuff
}

This is called procedural programming, and it has it's own issues, but it's the common solution to your problem.

Yes of course. I was thinking of doing that before, but tbh I wasnt putting a whole lot of thought into the GUI code; it was kind of an unnecessary part of my project... but yes, good idea i will do that ultimately i guess :)

1. What is a conditional callback function in Matlab GUI?

A conditional callback function is a function that is executed only when a certain condition is met. In the context of Matlab GUI, it refers to a function that is triggered by a specific event or user action, such as clicking a button or selecting a menu option.

2. How do I create a conditional callback function in Matlab GUI?

To create a conditional callback function in Matlab GUI, you first need to define the function in your code. Then, you can specify the condition that must be met for the function to be called, using the 'Callback' property of the GUI component. This will link the function to the specific event or action that triggers it.

3. Can I have multiple conditional callback functions in one Matlab GUI?

Yes, you can have multiple conditional callback functions in one Matlab GUI. Each GUI component can have its own callback function, and you can also have multiple callbacks for a single component, as long as they have different conditions.

4. How do I pass arguments to a conditional callback function in Matlab GUI?

To pass arguments to a conditional callback function in Matlab GUI, you can use the 'UserData' property of the GUI component. This property allows you to store any data that you want to pass to the callback function, and it can be accessed within the function using the 'get' command.

5. Can I use conditional callback functions in other programming languages?

Yes, conditional callback functions are a common feature in many programming languages and frameworks. They are often used in event-driven programming, where functions are executed in response to specific events or actions. Other languages may use different terminology for this concept, but the underlying principle is the same.