1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matlab, iteration with newton's method, noobs & errors

1. Apr 2, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I have to describe the famous newton-rapshon algorithm for finding a root of the function
    this is what i came up with, i aint not familiar with matlab and programming at all, so this is somewhat a melt from a lot of matlab tutorials, I dont master the code, but what's really a challenge is understanding the errors
    --------------------------------------------------------
    function x = newton(fun,dfun,x0,tol,Nmax)
    x = x0;
    f(x) = feval(fun,x);
    df(x)= feval(dfun,x);
    steps = 0;

re = tol;
    myrel = 1;
    while myrel > re && (steps < Nmax)
    xold = x;
    x = x - f(x)/df(x);
    steps = steps + 1;
    myrel = abs((x-xold)/x);
    end;
    if myrel <= re
    disp( 'Zero found at' )
    disp( x )
    else
    disp( 'Zero NOT found' )
    end;
    --------------------------------------------------------

when i test it, i find 2 very strange facts

fact 1: it cannot handle non-integer, if I want to test the function in the prompt with sin and cos and x0=3 , it stops on the first iteration: 3,14255...
    this is the error:
    attempted to acces f(3.14255); index must be a positive inter or logical

My idea: i thought matlab had no problems at all with any kind of number, in c++(also a big noob at that) u have to declarate everything, but not so in matlab yes?)

and fact2
    i only tested the function with sin, cos and 3

when i test it with a simple Polynomial, let's say x²-2 for finding the value of square root of 2 it gives an error in the second line: f(x) = feval...

how can that line work with the first example and not with a simple polynomial in x,

can someone get me on track

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2008 #2
    bump ? anyone ??

4. Apr 7, 2008 #3

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It sounds like f is set up as an array instead of a function.

5. Apr 12, 2008 #4
    The problem is that when you write f(x), Matlab treat this as an vector. So the solution is to write something like f=feval(...) inside the while loop (and remove the line f(x)=... and similar for df(x)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?