1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MATLab Problem

1. Jul 9, 2007 #1
    a = 60*pi/180;
    a1 = (pi - a)/2;
    a2 = (pi + a)/2;
    theta = a1: a/60: a2;
    rho = ones(size(theta));
    rho1 = rho*sin(a1)./sin(theta);
    polar(theta, rho);
    hold on;
    polar(theta, rho1)

[​IMG]

The above commands will draw a segment of a unit circle which starts from 60[tex]^{o}[/tex] to 120[tex]^{o}[/tex].

I know everything except the line of "rho1 = rho*sin(a1)./sin(theta);" that I don't know why this equation works from 1 --> 0.866 --> 1 and becomes a straight line. Can anyone tell me the reason? Is it related to a similar triangle or inverse proportion?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2007 #2
    try converting from polar to euclidean/cartesian...to see if you can figure out how they got that straight line. Remember what does rho,rho1 stand for in polar.

4. Jul 9, 2007 #3
    Cartesian to Polar:
    r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2)
    theta = arctan(y/x)

Polar to Cartesian:
    x = r cos theta
    y = r sin theta

rho = 1 (for unit circle)

rho1 = rho*sin(a1)/sin(theta) = 1*sin(60)/sin(60) to 1*sin(60)/sin(120) = 1 --> 0.866 --> 1

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  5. Jul 23, 2007 #4
    Write the equation of a rational function that has vertical asymptotes at x=2 and x=3 and a horizontal asymptote at y=2

yeah, i really need help with this problem. Thanks so much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?