Matrices and Commutativity

• Thread starter fallen186
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the problem is asking to find all 2 x 2 matrices A that commute with B, where B is a 2 x 2 matrix with elements equal to the sum of the row and column indices. To show commutivity, A must satisfy the equation A.B = B.A = C, where C is the sum of the product of elements in the corresponding positions of A and B. This puts constraints on the values of aij.
fallen186

Homework Statement

(Commutativity) Find all 2 x 2 matrices A = [ajk ] that commute with B = [bjk], where bjk = j+k

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ajk =

bjk =
j+k, j+k
j+k, j+k

I am confused about what they are trying to ask me. I understand that commute means that you can reverse it and you will come out with same outcome. I.E. like 3 x 2 = 6 and 2 x 3 = 6. Can someone give me a clue of what I should try to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm... not sure i understand the question, does
B
= [bjk] = j + k

=[b11 b12]
_[b21 b22]

=[1+1 1+2]
_[2+1 2+2]?

Then to show commutivity, as you implied, you then need to find all matricies A such that
A.B = B.A = C
where the C is added to clarify the meaning of the sum below, where the dummy indiceis are summed over
cik = aij.bjk = bim.amk

what constraints doe thi put on the values aij

1. What are matrices?

Matrices are rectangular arrays of numbers or variables, arranged in rows and columns. They are used to represent linear transformations and to solve systems of equations.

2. What is commutativity in relation to matrices?

Commutativity refers to the order in which matrix operations are performed. In a commutative matrix operation, the order of the matrices does not affect the result. For example, in matrix multiplication, AB = BA if and only if both A and B are square matrices of the same size.

3. What is the commutative property of addition and multiplication for matrices?

The commutative property of addition for matrices states that changing the order of addition for two matrices does not affect the result. In other words, A + B = B + A. The commutative property of multiplication for matrices states that changing the order of multiplication for two matrices does not affect the result. In other words, AB = BA.

4. Are all matrices commutative?

No, not all matrices are commutative. The commutative property only applies to certain types of matrix operations, such as addition and multiplication. Other operations, such as subtraction and division, are not commutative for matrices.

5. How is commutativity important in matrix operations?

Commutativity is important in matrix operations because it allows us to simplify calculations and manipulate equations. It also helps us understand the relationship between different matrix operations and how they affect the final result.