Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrices and quadratic basics help

1. Sep 15, 2012 #1
    I have figured out the answer to the question, but I have no idea why and how it works.

I have attached a copy of the question. I do apologize I am still having trouble putting in to latex, I can install some but not all, so bare with me.

So if I multiple out the matrices I get [itex]\chi[/itex]2 + 10[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] I then minus this from the quadratic [itex]\chi[/itex]2 + 8[itex]\chi[/itex] + 10 = 0 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] Which then gives me 8[itex]\chi[/itex] = 0

reagrange and I have [itex]\chi[/itex] = -8

Which is the right answer, I checked the mark scheme but I am suppose to find the value of K and not x. This make me think I have done the wrong maths but got the right answer.

Could someone point out if I have gone wrong, it would be very helpful.

It is the one highlighted.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey Taylor_1989 and welcome to the forums.

Expanding your equation gives x^2 + 10 = kx which implies x^2 - kx + 10 = 0. But we know the equation is x^2 + 8x + 10 = 0 which means -k = 8 so k = -8.

Remember you know the equation, and you are finding the value of k when you expand your matrix multiplication and collect terms: solving for x is finding the roots of the function where you are solving x^2 + 8x + 10 = 0 for the variable x.

4. Sep 15, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the help, for some reason I got my equations mixed up, it nevered occurred to me to put Kx into a quadratic and then compare. I should have spotted it really. Well learn by your mistakes. Once again many thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook