Solving a System of Equations with Matrices

In summary, the conversation is about a student who has been given a set of revision questions for matrices and is having trouble with one of the questions. The task is to find the general solution of a system and the student is unsure of the correct first step. Another person suggests starting by multiplying the 2nd line by -1 and adding it to the 4th line. The student follows this advice and gets the correct answer, but realizes that there is no solution since the matrix is singular. They also have two more questions regarding elementary matrices and a question about a matrix already being in echelon form.
elle
Hi, I've just been given a set of revision questions for matrices and I'm having problems with the following question:

http://tinypic.com/ejbssz.jpg"

My task is to find the general solution of this system (if there is any). Do I start off by reducing it to row echelon form and then reduced row echelon?

My first step would be to divide the first line by 3 to get a 1 on the far left...but that would mean I would have fractions as well which makes everything so 'messy.' Is that the correct first step to this question? :confused:

Help and advice appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would start by multiplying the 2nd line by -1 and adding it to the 4th line.

Ok I've given it a go and I got the answer:

1 0 1 2 | 1
0 1 -1 -2 | 0
0 0 0 0 | 0
0 0 0 0 | 0

So that gives me no solution?...:confused: Can someone check if that's right. Thank you! :biggrin:

Looks correct to me. The matrix is singular, so there isn't a solution.

Oh thanks! :biggrin: I know how to attempt other similar questions in my notes now.

I've also got two more questions to ask, if that's ok :rolleyes:

1) How do you determine a matrix is an elementary matrix? For example if you were given:

1 0 0
0 1 9
0 0 1

Is this an elementary matrix? :confused:

2) I don't understand the wording of the following question:

http://tinypic.com/ejek4w.jpg"

Does it mean its already in the echelon form so I don't have to do anything apart from just solving it for the variables? Or do I still have to put it into reduced echelon form?

Sorry for being such a pain and thank you for taking time to read my post :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solving a System of Equations with Matrices

1. How do you solve a system of equations with matrices?

To solve a system of equations with matrices, you can use the method of Gaussian elimination. This involves manipulating the augmented matrix (a matrix that combines the coefficients and constants from the system of equations) through row operations until it is in reduced row-echelon form. The resulting values for the variables can then be read directly from the matrix.

2. What are the advantages of using matrices to solve a system of equations?

Using matrices to solve a system of equations can be advantageous because it allows for a more efficient and organized way of solving multiple equations with multiple variables. It also allows for easy manipulation and transformation of the equations, making it easier to find the solution.

3. Can you solve any system of equations with matrices?

Yes, a system of equations can be solved using matrices as long as the number of equations is equal to the number of variables. If there are more equations than variables, the system is considered overdetermined and may not have a unique solution.

4. Are there any limitations to solving a system of equations with matrices?

One limitation of using matrices to solve a system of equations is that it can become computationally intensive for larger systems with many variables. Additionally, if the matrix is not properly reduced, the resulting solution may be incorrect.

5. Can matrices be used to solve nonlinear systems of equations?

No, matrices can only be used to solve linear systems of equations. Nonlinear systems involve equations with variables raised to powers or multiplied together, which cannot be represented in a matrix form. Other methods, such as substitution or elimination, must be used to solve these types of systems.