1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrices help!

1. Oct 13, 2005 #1
    Hi, I've just been given a set of revision questions for matrices and I'm having problems with the following question:

My task is to find the general solution of this system (if there is any). Do I start off by reducing it to row echelon form and then reduced row echelon?

My first step would be to divide the first line by 3 to get a 1 on the far left...but that would mean I would have fractions as well which makes everything so 'messy.' Is that the correct first step to this question? :confused:

Help and advice appreciated! Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2005 #2
    I would start by multiplying the 2nd line by -1 and adding it to the 4th line.
  4. Oct 13, 2005 #3
    Ok I've given it a go and I got the answer:

1 0 1 2 | 1
    0 1 -1 -2 | 0
    0 0 0 0 | 0
    0 0 0 0 | 0

So that gives me no solution?....:confused: Can someone check if that's right. Thank you!! :biggrin:
  5. Oct 13, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks correct to me. The matrix is singular, so there isn't a solution.
  6. Oct 13, 2005 #5
    Oh thanks! :biggrin: I know how to attempt other similar questions in my notes now.

I've also got two more questions to ask, if that's ok :uhh:

1) How do you determine a matrix is an elementary matrix? For example if you were given:

1 0 0
    0 1 9
    0 0 1

Is this an elementary matrix? :confused:

2) I don't understand the wording of the following question:

Does it mean its already in the echelon form so I don't have to do anything apart from just solving it for the variables? Or do I still have to put it into reduced echelon form?

Sorry for being such a pain and thank you for taking time to read my post :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?