Construct Matrix P & Find Trace/Eigenvalues - Can Anyone Help?

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a matrix P based on a full-rank nxp matrix X, and the subsequent task of finding the trace and eigenvalues of P. Hints are given to help solve the problem, including the properties of trace and the fact that P is a projection matrix. It is also noted that simplification of P is not possible.
abiadams
Am really lost on this one:

Suppose X is a full rank nxp matrix. Construct the matrix:

P = I - X((X'X)^-1)X'

Where X' is the transpose of X.

I then have to find the trace and eigenvalues of P.

Can anyone help?!

Physics news on Phys.org
do you know that for invertible matricies A,B that

[tex] (AB)^{-1} = B^{-1} A^{-1} [/tex]

easy to see this, say C is the inverse of (AB), then

[tex](AB)C = ABC = I [/tex]

[tex]A^{-1}ABC = BC = A^{-1} [/tex]

[tex]B^{-1}BC = C = B^{-1}A^{-1} [/tex]

lanedance's comment is true, but since your matrix need not be square it doesn't help. You can't simplify

[tex]
P = I - X(X'X)^{-1} X'
[/tex]

any more than it already is.

This is the type of problem seen during a matrix introduction to multiple regression (although it may be in a different setting for your problem).

Hint: You can show that [tex] P^2 = P [/tex] ([tex] P [/tex] is actually a projection matrix).
1) What is its dimension?
2) If you know the rank of [tex] X [/tex] you can find the rank of [tex] P [/tex]

Those hints will (should, may) give you an idea of an attack to find the quantities you need.

ok, yeah - misread that sorry

along with statdads comments, the property of the trace being the sum of the eigenvalues
[tex] tr(A) = \sum_i a_ii = \sum_i \lambda_i [/tex]

and
[tex] tr(A^k) = \sum_i \lambda_i^k [/tex]
could help

FAQ: Construct Matrix P & Find Trace/Eigenvalues - Can Anyone Help?

1. How do I construct a matrix P?

To construct a matrix P, you will need to first determine the size of the matrix (number of rows and columns) and the values that will go in each position. Then, you can use a matrix construction method such as direct entry, column or row vectors, or operations on existing matrices.

2. What is the trace of a matrix?

The trace of a matrix is the sum of the elements on the main diagonal (from the top left to bottom right) of the matrix. It is denoted by tr(A) or Trace(A).

3. How do I find the eigenvalues of a matrix?

The eigenvalues of a matrix can be found by first solving for the characteristic equation det(A - λI) = 0, where A is the matrix and λ is the eigenvalue. Then, the solutions for λ are the eigenvalues of the matrix.

4. What is the significance of eigenvalues in a matrix?

Eigenvalues are important in a matrix because they represent the scaling factors of the eigenvectors of the matrix. They also have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. Can anyone help me with constructing matrix P and finding trace/eigenvalues?

Yes, there are many resources available online such as tutorials, videos, and forums that can help you with constructing matrix P and finding trace/eigenvalues. You can also seek assistance from a math or science tutor or ask for help from fellow scientists or mathematicians.

Back