1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix Division?

1. Jun 29, 2008 #1
    As far as I know, matrices cannot be divided, you have to multiply one matrix by the inverse of the other...I believe.

However, I am converting MatLab code into ANSI C and MatLab apparently divides two matrices. An example is the following...

>>A=[1.5708 1.5708];
    B=[0.4937 0.7652];
    A/B

ans =

I have no idea how MatLab generated this answer. I try to find the inverse of the second matrix, but since it is a non-square matrix, MatLab denies my request. Can anyone aid me in figuring out how such an answer was calculated? Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

4. Jun 29, 2008 #3
    I looked through that as well, but it says that it is equal to A*inverse(B)...but like I said, I cannot calculate the inverse of B. MatLab itself won't do it for me if I write the command line, so I don't see how it completes the matrix division calculation without finding the inverse of B.

It also says that it is equivalent to A/B = (B'\A')'. But again, You have to divide two matrices, only here, it is the conjugate transposes of the two. So even if I find the conj. transposes of the two (which will basically move the rows into columns), I still cannot find out how they got 2.3846 as an answer.

5. Jun 29, 2008 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Presumably you need to decipher:
    It's too late here for me to get my head around that, but someone else will probably come along who can.

6. Jun 30, 2008 #5
  7. Jun 30, 2008 #6
    THANKS!

I had a look at this before, but I didn't really understand it, so I looked for simpler explanations. It took my stupid self about 30 minutes to fully comprehend what it was saying. I really had to read slowly. lol. It is very brief, but rightfully so. Not much more explaining needed once you get it. Thanks a bunch.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?